Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d "Style States" Restore your Civil 3D Object Style/Settings

Civil 3d "Style States" Restore your Civil 3D Object Style/Settings

This would be so useful. Been able to save the styles you have selected for various civil 3d objects. In particular, for more complex projects, where constantly resetting between various styles can be rather tedious.

This workflow could even flow over to data shortcuts. Where it would be possible to create reference to multiple objects using the “style states” saved in your project.

19 Comments
joantopo
Mentor

Yes!

I absolutely agree.

We cannot do Undo and Redo to recover the state of the styles if we have done a lot of intermediate operations such as edit autocad objects,

etc...

I like the location of this bar, it's a good place.

joantopo
Mentor

Well..

recover the state of the styles it is very complex to programming but just with recover the stlye name is enough.

troma
Mentor

@ceethreedee.com can you help me understand what this does and when you would use it?

I've never found myself constantly resetting between various styles in a project.

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@joantopo yeah settings are a bit ambitious. I was thinking it could extent to analysis types that have been applied to surfaces.

@troma it all depends on how many civil 3d objects you have or project complexity. If you have lots of staging or phasing in your projects it can be really annoying to have to change all the alignment and surface styles back and forward to ensure everything is working.

Its not different from layer states for complex projects.

joantopo
Mentor
I told this about regions: https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-i... The concept is the same. Sometimes we have to edit the start or end station in a Region to check something so why not a fast way to recover the last data?
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Is this to allow you to make temporary changes to a style, then restore the style to the "correct" state?

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Civil 3D

Autodesk, Inc.

joantopo
Mentor
We can solve this creating first a copy of the style and use this new style temporary, but I prefet this idea of restoring to "default" settings.
If we want several states of a style then ks the same that create a copy of the style and modify this new style.
joantopo
Mentor
"Is the same that creating"; sorry.
joantopo
Mentor

About style names. (recover the last used style).

New command: Select previous style.

If we select the object in the drawing file, then a new option in the contextual menu (right-clik).

21.jpg

It´s very TEDIOUS opening the Surface properties form to choose the previous sytle every and every time.

This is a fast way to recover the previous choosen style.

Civil 3D should save in memory the last selected style.

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

@peterfunkautodesk I guess this would allow that sort of operation. You might be happy with the way your styles are for editing the main road alignment for example. But when you go to edit the adjacent gradings you need to change the surfaces styles of 5 surfaces and you need to changed the code set style for the main corridor and maybe the grading panels themselves need a different style. So you would have a

• "Main Road" Style State
  • "Grading Pad" Style State

Kind of like switching between views or resetting a layer state in Autocad. Except it changes all the Civil 3D object styles back to what they were for that particular point.

Like I said, great functionality for complex jobs.

Cadguru42
Advisor

I could see using the style states for things like editing versus plotting or even present versus proposed. There's been a lot of times I've had to set my alignment style to my design style as well as profiles and surfaces, then when I'm ready to plot I have to change each to what I want. After it's plotted, then I have to change them back to continue working on them. Style States would make this just a simple click. 

Thanks for the input.

More questions:

1. Why are you changing surface styles? is it to turn on triangle edges for editing? If those turned on and off by themselves (for editing) would that help?

2. If it is for editing triangle edges, what would help make it so you didn't have to edit them as much? Are you cutting extra triangles around the edges, or flipping faces?

3. I think style states would be intersting if all the styles in use were the same and you switched from one state to another. But in a typical drawing i would think a mix of styles would be in used for each object.

4. If you could just refresh a style from the template (without much effort) would that help?

I'm hoping that some things that we are working on should help this indirectly.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

Cadguru42
Advisor

@peterfunkautodesk

1. I primarily use three surface styles. One for existing 2' contours, one that's just the border, and one that shows the triangles for editing. I have others, but those are the ones I use almost every project. It'd be nice to be able to edit the surface triangles without having to change the style. 

2. Most of my edits are to remove triangles that are on the outside edges that make long, erronious connections. For example, look at the screenshot below.

surface_triangle_example.png

The area northwest of the road was not surveyed, yet the surface originally made long triangles from the corners towards the middle. I had to remove those. 

3. I use multiple styles in a drawing for like objects, so a style state that just switches all objects to a single style wouldn't be used much by me, but could be useful in certain situations. I see that like a find/replace, but for an object style. 

4. What do you mean by "refresh a style from the template"? Do you mean if a style in a template was changed that change could be applied to an existing drawing(s) in some automated fashion? That would be extremely helpful. 

Status changed to: Gathering Support

OK,

Switching this back to "Gathering Support" for part of this

1. Style swapping for surfaces for triangle editing has been covered in: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/edit-surface-triangles-on/idi-p/5621135

2. External style management has been covered in: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/external-management-of-layer-style-and-ci...

That leaves style sets. If we did the first two items, I see the use case for style sets getting pretty thin.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

Cadguru42
Advisor

@peterfunkautodesk

Those two items you listed wouldn't cover the style sets. It's not just surfaces that I and others change styles for. While working with alignments and profiles I have a design style for each, sometimes even a second design style for superimposed profiles. For plotting I switch to a plot style, then switch back after plotting. When you have multiple alignments and profiles in a drawing this is time consuming. A style set would make this as simple as a click or two instead of six or more. 

ceethreedee.com
Collaborator

This has nothign to do with triangle swapping or external managment of styles.

Once again, this is common throughout all of civil 3D, it seems you guys have a lack of understanding of the requirements of complex projects. This is quite often why Civil 3D is a difficult sell to major infrastructure clients who use 12d/MX. But thats another story...

This is about handling the "style selection" of MANY civil 3D objects. On complex projects, you have lots of objects. Changing all the stlyes back and forth between 20+ civil 3d objects is hugely cumbersome.

When i get a chance next ill post an excellent example of a commonly modelled staged road project that would benefit from a feature like style sets.

troma
Mentor

@Cadguru42 I'm wondering about this:  For plotting I switch to a plot style, then switch back after plotting.

Why are you switching for plotting? I can't think of a reason, can you educate me?

Cadguru42
Advisor

@troma While working on my alignments I have a design style. It shows tangents in red, curves in blue, spirals in magenta, extensions in gray, has circles for breaks in the alignments, has the warning symbols turned on, everything has a continuous linetype, etc. That makes it easy while working on the drawing to quickly see what's going on. When I need a check plot, I switch to our plot style that has a thick lineweight, everything's a single color, extension lines are turned off, and the warning symbols are turned off. This is during design, btw. 

I do this with profiles and cross sections as well. 

troma
Mentor

That sounds useful. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report