Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change object's layer property by changing layer in command line

Change object's layer property by changing layer in command line

Currently, we can change the layer by typing the layer name (or a portion of it) in the command line, waiting a second, then pressing enter (or spacebar).

However, I propose adding the ability to change a selected object's layer, if one is selected, during this operation as well. So for example, if we are currently at layer 0, have a line selected, start typing "wal", it would offer to change the layer to "A-WALL". If we hit enter it would change the layer to the proposed one (which is what it already does) and also change the layer of the line we have selected to the proposed layer, too.

4 Comments

Which version of Civil 3D are you doing this in? In my version when you start typing at the command line Civil 3D will auto complete the command name and not layer names.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Civil 3D Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

ebsoares
Collaborator

Hi, Peter.

I'm using 2016 version, but I believe this is an innate function of plain AutoCAD.

When you start typing a command (usual mode), AutoCAD will attempt to figure out what command you want before you finish typing it, and it will give as many options as it can find. You can have it look for layers (and blocks, etc.) as well.

Click on the "Customize" button next to your command line (the wrench looking icon) and select "Input search options...". See below:

Picture1.png

I needed to have my cursor actually in the command line for the layer options to work, and I never do that.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

ebsoares
Collaborator

Hummm... that's strange. For me it works fine, like any command - I can just hit enter, so with everyone in our office here.

If I type in "Line" it will give us options for commands (like "LINE"), layers (like "A-Wall-Line"), blocks, etc. And we can just use the up-down key in keyboard keys when there's more than one option and hit enter.

No so with your version?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report