Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change display styles of multiple surfaces

Change display styles of multiple surfaces

I find myself frequently changing the display styles of several surfaces at once, it would be nice to select several in the prospector tab and change their style.  for example I want to create a boundary for my surface that has several corridors pasted into the surface.  But when they are pasted in they lose their boundary and the surface connects between corridors where it should not.  Now I want to change the corridor styles from "No Display" to "Boundary" extract the boundaries from each individual corridor and switch them back.  sometimes I revise a corridor and just need to get one boundary.  

Even if there is a better way, it would be nice to select multiple items in the prospector tab and change their display styles.  It can be done in layer manager, and styles are the new layer in Civil 3D right?

12 Comments
doni49
Mentor

Select all the surfaces in question then go to the Properties Palette (the same one you'd use to change a line's layer).  The style can be changed for all the selected surfaces there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doni,

If the surfaces are set to no display how would this work?

doni49
Mentor

Right click on the surface in Toolspace and choose "Select" now even though you can't SEE the surface, it's selected as far as Acad is concerned.

I use this same workflow too.  I set surfaces to No Display while I'm doing something and then want to turn them back on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, now lets say I have 9 surfaces that are all have a no display style.  How do I select all 9 and change their style?

jmayo-EE
Mentor

In prosector select all of the surfaces you want to change the style of.

Right-click on the Style HEADING. DO NOT right-click on any surface line. You will then see Edit in the menu and you can change many at once even if they are no display.

See the attachment and note that I right-clicked on the blue highlighted 'Style' heading not either of the lines with the individual surfaces.

doni49
Mentor

John:  No attachments came through.

In the first image, I've expanded "Surfaces" in the top half of Toolspace.  In the lower half, I've selected ALL my surfaces.

In the second image, you can see my properties palette. and it recognizes that there are 4 surfaces selected.

C3DMultipleSelected1.png

C3DMultipleSelected2.png

P.S. When you right click on the surfaces, make sure you're also pressing Ctrl Shift.  Otherwise it'll deselect them all and then select the ONE you right clicked on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I guess I don't use that part of the prospector tab enough.  Mine was minimized.  That does help I guess.

doni49
Mentor

Hmmm....

While gathering enough info to make these screenshots, I learned something new:  after selecting the surfaces, I don't have to go to the Properties Palette!

With the Shift key pressed, instead of Right-click, click on the surface style field in one of the surfaces.  A dialog will open allowing you to change the style.

jmayo-EE
Mentor
On lunch will post soon.
Also, if u can select the surfaces in model space the props dialog and quick props dialog will permit u to change styles on multiple surfaces.

How long are your lunches @jmayo-EE? Going on 25+ hours now Smiley Wink

I have nothing to add to this conversation, just wanted to see how you all explained finding how to do this. 

doni49
Mentor
I can't speak for jmayo but here's where I learned about setting the Style using the Properties Palette.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/surface-context-ribbon-modify-panel-amp-gt-surf...

>From there, I just starred using it when I needed to change multiples.

But then in trying to assist here, I remembered that when changing a bunch of POINTS, I was able to select them all in the lower part of Toolspace. So I wondered if I could do the same with Surfaces. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I could.
autoMick
Advisor

Another way is to utilise layers. Create a surface style that has boundaries, contours, elevations etc. visible but assigned to different layers.

then just switch the layers as required - obviously it is much more flexible to control the individual (or multiple) surfaces as described above, but layers have their place too.

cheers

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report