Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk should make surveyor version

Autodesk should make surveyor version

Autodesk should make a surveyor version vs C3D. For most Surveyors, we pay for a program which over 90% of its functions we don't use, and often those features are just a burden, such as z values and we still pay the same price as everyone else. With all expenses it almost comes out better just to get a job at Walmart then work as  surveyor nowadays. Drawings get corrupt, crash, even with newer 2017 Version and you pay a bunch for C3D with a lot of headache. MicroSurvey Sucks, Carlson Survey we just bought into to try to transition out of C3D because of its clunkyness and cost. Our office guys are trying that out as we speak. 

Make strictly a surveyor only program and bring down the cost, matter of cost. Why do we pay the same when we dont use most of the software? 

8 Comments
DentonYoder
Enthusiast

I feel your pain... 30 years ago it was a separate module... I would be tempted to use vanilla AutoCAD with a bunch of LISP routines. (which is what it was 30 years ago)  Do you do all the least squares traverse balancing stuff, or just traditional import collector data and label bearings and distances... place symbols on everything and make a clean drawing???

DentonYoder
Enthusiast

You produce topo don't you?  That is why it all got bundled together years ago.  Surveyors always needed the Design module and DTM module too...

Cadguru42
Advisor

Could make a Civil LT that has the survey database, points, surface, and Map functions. 

rkmcswain
Mentor
Cadguru42 wrote:

Could make a Civil LT that has the survey database, points, surface, and Map functions.

But why would they do this?

They already have a product that does all of this: Civil 3D.

I'm not saying it could never happen, but what incentive is there to do this?

Cadguru42
Advisor

But why would they do this?

They already have a product that does all of this: Civil 3D.

I'm not saying it could never happen, but what incentive is there to do this?

I don't think Autodesk will ever do it. I'm just saying it could be possible, but there's no incentive to do it. I seem to recall some kind of Survey program Autodesk had for a few years and then it just disappeared. Probably not enough money in it.

DentonYoder
Enthusiast

In my area, a surveyor may take a job for $200 to $300 where he runs to the courthouse, researches a piece of property.  Takes an assistant to the job site, finds as many pins as he can with a metal detector.  Surveys the boundary, doubling the angles on the property boundary so he can average them (flips the gun, spins it 180, and hit the point again).  Returns to work, to draw the dead... prints it out for the client....  Not a dollar to spare...

The surveyor may not even make decent wages, but he is his own boss, and has a good life...

I went to one surveyors office (his house) and he had a wide typewriter, he rolled his drawing in the typewriter to type his bearings and distances...  I moved him up to Gencad Cogo which was a very early precursor to C3D light... David Arnold probably still called it DCA software at the time.

In the old days, we used to always have DOS based COGO (Coordinate Geometry) tools that reduced our survey notes to X & Y values.  The Softdesk (or C3D) fieldbook format was a much better solution!  Most instrument's data collectors will do this reduction for us now.  Cad itself is a graphical COGO machine...

You may still notice that the current C3D fieldbook software is a separate program, with an external observation database.  The survey industry really could use a very low cost limited functionality setup.  Could the survey fieldbook tools be pulled out into a modular add-on to AutoCAD LT?  This would make a low cost tool to import points with figures and symbols automatically generated...

rkmcswain
Mentor
I understand your position, but you are thinking of this from an end user (surveyor) point of view. I'm talking about the financial point of view.  How is Autodesk going to get a decent ROI on this? They already make the tools you want and need, although Civil 3D is a bit of overkill.

I've seen other ideas where people want to add support for LISP to "LT", and charge a little more. Why not take away some more features of "LT" and make a version that costs a bit less?

If you'll look at recent history, Autodesk is not becoming more granular with their products, they are doing quite the opposite. Civil 3D users were guided into Infrastructure Design Suite, then that was retired and now you get an "Industry Collection" with even more software.

I don't know the answers, I'm just throwing out my 2 cents saying that I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

thigbie
Contributor

I'd be happy with a field version for the crews so my projects can be collecting, uploading, receiving, and producing data in real time.  The field crews often need to extract data out of project drawings so they can avoid delays in getting coordinates to and from the office.  When they collect data, I need it as fast as possible, and when I produce design data for layout, they need it as fast as possible.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report