Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL tools should have a way to copy and paste a path.

ALL tools should have a way to copy and paste a path.

ALL tools that have a folder selection option should have a way to copy and paste a path.

In download options for the civil engineering data converter, the tool to select where you want to download requires manual navigation to the folder. Thereis not an option to cut and paste a path. Many of my paths to projects are very log and manually selecting each folder and digging down is a pain.

c3d image.jpg

14 Comments

I so want Microsoft to add in a way to specify a path. 

JamesMaeding
Advisor

that common dialog is so bad, I replaced it with this in all our tools.

I did it in .net, and created a lisp function to call it also, so .net and lisp tools could use it.

CustomFolderBrowse.png

BlackBox_
Advisor

@JamesMaeding - 

For clarity, are you subclassing the native dialogs, or effectively Veto()-ing Command calls to use your own custom WinForm / WPF Dialog (and acting on resultant user input)?

dgorsman
Consultant

Whenever a path can be pasted there is the potential for that path to be invalid (not existing, file name, etc.).  That would need to be handled either by not allowing the user to OK, rejecting the value on OK, and/or making whatever uses that path tolerant of invalid locations.

davelawrence3d
Enthusiast

I like what jmaeding did, basically the same kind of dialog like an open or save but I want it built in.

Just about every project I work on is 7-12 folders deep on out lan and 120 characters, so manually setting paths is a pain and I bounce between 3 to 4 projects a day

JamesMaeding
Advisor

@BlackBox_ I did not mean I am accomplishing your request, as the dialog only works on my tools, it does not replace on tools others wrote.

Maybe Owen W could do that, but I am lisp and c# only.

@dgorsman correct, graceful error handling is necessary.

This issue of paths is so important, I made context menu tools to put full path on clipboard, and commands in acad to copy current filename to clipboard.

I tell people in the office to only send me copied file paths, not attached files, and not hand typed paths.

many do not know, but ctrl-O,ctrl-v,enter will open a file whose path is on the clipboard, in most any program, without mouse clicks.

Save the tendons!

BlackBox_
Advisor

@JamesMaeding -

No worries; few that I've had the benefit of interacting with are on Owen's level.

I only thought to ask, as you do more customization than I, so wasn't sure if you had applied similiar framework to handle Windows messages, etc. or not. Haha

In any event, thanks for clarifying. :beer:

troma
Mentor

The command for "Set Working Folder" is another that uses the silly dialog, please change it!

@dgorsman I don't understand the problem with error messages. The Open &  Save dialoges manage just fine. I paste stuff in there all the time. If there is an error it throws an error message, but no big problem.

JamesMaeding
Advisor

that is the problem, its a built in windows "common" dialog, so used often.

How much time has been wasted because microsoft did not add a paste line in it??

There should be a general windows utility to replace it, someone write it please.

troma
Mentor

Personally, I'm posting here to ask Autodesk to make changes, not to ask a third party for help.

Why can't Autodesk use the same dialog as Open & Save for every time we need to select a folder? Simple. Then we can have access to the 'Places' shortcuts on the left, or copy/paste a path as needed.

dgorsman
Consultant

Its one thing to have a generic error when just navigating to a folder to open a file - alert the user, on it goes.

What happens when that path is being stored for later use during some type of automation?  Its expecting a valid path; if one isn't there then its partway through some procedure that may or may not be possible or practical to roll back.  Not to mention telling the user "No, I can't do that.  Back to start, try again."  Rather, it should validate that pasted path right there and then at input, not allowing the user to proceed any further until they provide a valid path.  That, I think, was the intent behind using the existing common folder select dialog - aside from being available it forces the selection of an existing folder, and prevents providing a non-existant one.

AllenJessup
Mentor

This would be a Great help. I always use copy/paste for the path when possible. We often have deep paths on our server and if I need to search for a file. Being able to copy/paste saves a lot of clicking!

aamerJQ9QJ
Community Visitor

Please make that change! Thanks!

frederic_guerin
Participant

Make it happen for ALL Autodesk products!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report