Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical scale issue with my TIN

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mcobb
499 Views, 7 Replies

Vertical scale issue with my TIN

I've tried posting a similar problem once before but its possible my documentation was too light to be clear. I am totally new to Civil 3D but pretty familiar with Autocad and Revit.

I brought in a series of topo lines from Autocad. They appear to be at the right scale. Notice the contour line on the right with the property window indicating an elevation of 9'.

I creat a surface and include these 3D polylines as part of the definition (see second image).

I take a reading of one of the points on the TIN surface that is on this polyline we just looked and and it is 12x higher than it is supposed to be! Clearly, there is something going on here with units but I don't know what I did wrong. Any help is appreciated. I'm also going to attach the Civil 3D file.

Any help for the noob is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Contour Height.jpgCreating Surface from Contours.jpgOff by a factor of 12.jpg

Regards,

Mike
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: mcobb

Hi Mike,
Your drawing is conflicted. Civil 3D uses either Feet or Meters and is trying to make the best of data in inch architectural units. I'm not sure how to fix things up. Where does your data come from?
Your linework is 3D Polylines. It's best to add those to a Surface as "Breaklines" instead of Contours.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
mcobb
in reply to: Pointdump

Thank you:

1. Reopened the file in autocad

2. Set the units to unitless. 

3. Scaled things appropriately.

4. Worked like a charm.

Regards,

Mike
Message 4 of 8
yse211
in reply to: mcobb

hey i have the same issue, can you explain how you fixed your issue? when i add the polylines as contour lines the elevation is also 12x as much.

Message 5 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: yse211

Hi Yassin,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Can you post your drawing?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 8
yse211

thank you for the welcome! as you can see, the elevation under properties for the polyline is 189' but 2268' under the inquiry tool. this is an increase of x12. ive attached the drawing. 

Message 7 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: yse211

Yassin,
Thanks for posting your drawing.
OK, a couple of things. Even though Drawing Units in Settings shows Feet, Command UNITS shows "Engineering" which is inches. Change that to Decimal and scale the entire drawing 0.0833. I think that fixes it.
Dave

UNITS_1.png

UNITS_2.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 8 of 8
yse211

thank you so much for your help! you are a saint

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report