Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update | Autodesk Civil Infrastructure Product Roadmap

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
lim.wendy
9057 Views, 32 Replies

Update | Autodesk Civil Infrastructure Product Roadmap

We've completely revamped the Autodesk Civil Infrastructure product roadmap! The new public roadmap provides a view into what's under consideration for future versions of Civil 3D, InfraWorks, and ReCap. More importantly, it enables our customers to provide feedback and rate the value of each item.

Refer to the article to learn more.

limwendy_0-1679642177745.png

@TimYarris ๐Ÿ™‚

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Labels (2)
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: lim.wendy

@lim.wendy some interesting ideas but I'd also like to see the ability to apply existing profile settings to a new one i.e. the surfaces and bands. It is very tedious to have to go through the same steps for each profile I need and cross sections aren't always appropriate and they have their own issues too.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 33
TimYarris
in reply to: neilyj666

Good suggestion, @neilyj666. Is this one on the Civil 3D Ideas forum? We've been combing that to see how those align with other customer research we've been doing. 

Related to that idea, with Civil 3D 2022.1 Update (out today), you'll see the ability to reuse corridor and region parameters.

Message 4 of 33
neilyj666

@TimYarris It is now...:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 33
Joe-Bouza

The road map doesnโ€™t like my iPhone ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 6 of 33
ChrisRS
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I don't like your iPhone either. I don't like iAnything ๐Ÿ˜‰

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 7 of 33
ChrisRS

@lim.wendy, I like the new roadmap. It is much more detailed than previous versions and encourages some user feedback.

My quibble is that it is "buried." You do have a post in the Pinned Section. I visit the forums pretty much daily, but I pretty much ignore the pinned section. It is pretty static. (On my phone it takes about 20 seconds to populate the pinned area with the current posts coming up about 40 seconds later.)

You might want to consider rewording it to something like "CAST YOUR VOTES IN THE Autodesk Civil Infrastructure Product Roadmap!" and occasionally bumping it to the top. 

ChrisRS_0-1654618509376.png

I suspect that the community/forum webpage design decision making is in the hands of others, but I suggest that links for the roadmap and Community Voices blog be added. I understand that there is a desire/need to keep things simple.

ChrisRS_2-1654621401377.png

@TimYarris, I like the roadmap much better than previous version. I like that The Items originating from Ideas are identified and linked back to for additional input. (It is concrete evidence that the Ideas are at least being looked at. Tim, your recent participation in reacting to Ideas is truly appreciated.)   

With regard to the non-Ideas based roadmap cards, many of them would be very difficult for me to understand if I did not already know details from also following "futures."

For Ideas based cards you refer back to the Ideas post(s): "Vote or give us your feedback on the associated Civil 3D Idea:"

It would be great if there was a similar feedback mechanism for non-Ideas based cards. A simple solution could be new Ideas posts from a pseudo user such as "AD Roadmap." Obviously the Ideas would contain a link to the Roadmap site/card.

As a general Roadmap observation, I am not always able to tell which product a card refers to.
e.g. under Roads and Highways, does "Dynamic Road Signs and Markings" apply to Civil 3D or Infraworks? It Civil 3D, I will vote for it. If Infraworks, I will not. (Perhaps I misunderstand the current goals, but I see little value in programming effort that enhances 30% concept design (IWX) with no corresponding 40% to 100% design capability (C3D) in mind. If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

I do want to reiterate that I like the Roadmap and the apparent Autodesk openness to user involvement it demonstrates. 

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 8 of 33
pobrienFNE96

I really appreciate the roadmap. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it gives more insight into how developers/managers pick solutions for problems with little interest while there are items on the Ideas forum with thousands of votes that have been ignored ... for years. Please address the items that have been thorns in our sides (read: expensive time-sucks) for our entire careers before adding new features that add small value for only a few folks.

Message 9 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: pobrienFNE96

@pobrienFNE96 Totally agree - I suspect they address the "quick wins" first, anything that requires more effort (unless it is BIM360/Cloud based) is quietly forgotten about or you have to rely on third party developers or program it yourself.

EESignature

Message 10 of 33
TimYarris

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on the public roadmap. Weโ€™re really happy people see value in the newer format and want to continue to be engaged with the product team.

@ChrisRS  โ€“ I appreciate it can be tough to remember to check back on the public roadmap because itโ€™s not always at the top of everyoneโ€™s mind. To help this, weโ€™re planning to have more regularly scheduled updates to let customers know when significant changes have been made. Weโ€™ll post blog articles (similar to this one) and promote it via social media and this forum. I like the idea of enabling some way to enable feedback via the Ideas forum; Iโ€™ll give some thought to how to best make that happen.

Please note the public roadmap is not the full view of what we have under development. There are ideas that arenโ€™t on the public roadmap but will be resolved strategically as we work on related areas of the product. 

With the Ideas forum, the public roadmap, and other avenues, weโ€™re doing our best to incorporate customer feedback, balance it with our strategic goals, and communicate our plans back to our customers. We wonโ€™t always make everyone happy but we appreciate that our customers are willing to continue to work with us and let us know whatโ€™s most valuable to them.

Message 11 of 33
SoaresASBCAD

yes, always improvement 

ASoares
Message 12 of 33
RobertRiley

Is this still board active/there/viewable? I get a "Board not found" message.
Message 13 of 33
ChrisRS
in reply to: RobertRiley

I get a "Board not found" message as well.

It may be temporary.

There was an Infrastructure AMA within the last couple of months, and reference was made to an upcoming new system. It sounded like the roadmap, and use of the term Roadmap would continue.

A change may have occurred without advance notice in this forum. Stranger things have happened.

@lim.wendy, any insight? 

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 14 of 33
lim.wendy

I apologize for any inconvenience caused. The link has been updated. Kindly refer to the article for further details.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 15 of 33
ChrisRS

Thanks, @lim.wendy.

That works.

It looks like revamp included resetting the vote count to 0.

If you voted in the previous roadmap iteration, you should go back and vote again.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 16 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: ChrisRS

Call me cynical but Mark Twain said "...if voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it".

There have been loads of great suggestions to improve the product usability in the real world but the focus recently has been on cloud stuff which are of use to the multi thousand seat consultancies using Autodesk products but no use to me.

EESignature

Message 17 of 33
pobrienFNE96

To be honest, they're not all that great for those of us who need them, and jumping on board with them has cost countless hours of rework and confusion.
Message 18 of 33
ChrisRS

Don't Shoot!

I am just the messenger, Neil.

Somewhat uncharacteristically, I will attempt to be a voice of reason.

• The "Roadmap" has been made available as a user feedback mechanism.
    I agree that availability and user feedback do not assure substantial review and action by Autodesk.
     It's a crap shoot. It is our choice to play the game or not.
  • It appears to be important to someone at Autodesk.
    I assume it is important to the C3D team, even if they had to be told it is.
  • Our participation may or may not bear fruit.
    A choice not to participate will not.
  • The direction and decisions regarding C3D are set by higher-ups.
    I am convinced that the C3d team wants to do a good job for us.

I agree with you in preferring a more down-to-earth focus.

My reasonableness has worn thin:

The "Roadmap" breakdown (approximate):

• In process: 1 of 26 is Idea based.
  • Up Next: 9 of 82 are Idea based.
  • Later: 4 of 44 are Idea based.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 19 of 33
neilyj666
in reply to: ChrisRS

@ChrisRS no worries - just some Friday afternoon cynicism; it's been a long week...๐Ÿ˜‰

EESignature

Message 20 of 33
mick_hail

Thank you for attaching the right link! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

ย 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ย