Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tin volume surface not created correctly (C3D 2020)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
483 Views, 4 Replies

Tin volume surface not created correctly (C3D 2020)

Hi,

First time here. I've been through the forums but can't find the answer to my issue.

I'm modelling a dredged area in a seabed. I've created a grading group from a feature line then generated the surface from that. This surface works fine. On plan the flat dredged level is -13.0.

The grading is only three sides as the fourth side stops at the -13.0 contour.

When I create a volume surface my issues start, please see screenshots.

The volume dashboard reports just cut which is what I expect but the surface isn't correct.

It may well be my work flow.

1. Create a surafce bigger than I need then use MINIMUMDISTANCEBETWEENSURFACES to get the dredged outline.

2.Create a feature line from that polyline (explode 3Dpolyline and create a closed 2D polyline at -13.0)

3.Create the grading group then generate a surface.

All this works fine.

When I create a Tin volume surface using the SEABED SURFACE as the base then the Dredge surafce as a comparison, the surface builds itself up to the highest point.

Any help and work flow advice would be much apprecaited.

Regards,

Phil.

The Volume

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've now created a volume surafce but switched the surface order so I have a fill surface. This looks as I would expect.

Message 3 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

Why would you expect a fill surface in a dredging operation?

Bill

Message 4 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

Good question

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

Hi,

The fill test was purely to see what result I got, and it created the surface as I expected.  The volume of that surface is correct.

When I cut as it would be, I don't get a flat base to the surface at -13.0m. The back of the cut is -13.0m but it gradually increases level until it reaches 0.00m.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report