Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop grading rebuild on application start up

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
511 Views, 5 Replies

stop grading rebuild on application start up

So is there a way to "freeze" my grading so when I open a DWG file it won't reload the grading.  Some file are so big that waiting for the grading to rebuild takes a few minutes.  I just want to open the file and start plugging away, but still be able to refresh when I need to.  Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I know
No you can't

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You may want to try using a lisp entry to the acadXXXdoc.lsp at the end of the file. Add the following to the lisp file and set acadlspasdoc to 1.

(command "-layer" "freeze" "GradingLayerName" " ") Save the file and open the drawing.

Note: This will not prevent the grading from being updated as a possible trigger is the surface being reloaded or the detail having to be rebuilt when opened but it may assist in speeding this up.

Remeber that this will always freeze the grading layer when you open the file so remeber to edit the lsp file after and add a ;;; to comment the line out to prevent this from happening.

The other possibility (not tested) would be to lock the surface which the grading is targeting, this may prevent it from updating the surface on open and prevent the grading from rebuilding but I doubt that.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 6
troma
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I wonder what would happen if you were to lock the layer on which the grading resides.

It might work. Or it might crash the whole program and loose weeks of work. You never know!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to try using a lisp entry to the acadXXXdoc.lsp at the end of the file. Add the following to the lisp file and set acadlspasdoc to 1.

M

No, no, no!

First, ACADLSPASDOC tells AutoCAD to load acad.lsp with every drawing. Most users will never need this, I believe this sysvar was added for legacy purposes when they added the ability to use acaddoc.lsp (which is intened for use with those lisp commands that DO need to be loaded in every drawing).

Second, The acadXXXXdoc.lsp should NEVER be edited. This is for use by Autodesk and quite often gets overwritten when perfroming Service Pack installs, reinstalls, etc. Instead, create and use acaddoc.lsp which will load into every drawing and will NEVER be overwitten by a Service pack, reinstall, etc.

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Customization/files/GUID-FDB4038D-1620-4A56-8824-D37729D42520.htm

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 6
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Jeff_M

OOps, OOps OOps! ('Old' Schoolboy errors).

Thanks Jeff Very Good Catch. I can never remeber which one it is. I haven't used this method in a while (since the Scalelistedit work around).

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report