Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile view from alignment without surface

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
swartaZ6NR2
211 Views, 6 Replies

Profile view from alignment without surface

Hi There,

I have created an alignment with XYZ coordinates and would like to create a profile view of the alignment,

however somehow the profile view does not generate completely. It just shows the profile band at the bottom, but no profile or profile line even. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did try to offset the same alignment on either side to create a surface from that, but somehow I cannot get that to work either. Is it better to try and get a surface from which the profile view can be created, or is there a way to create a simple profile view without a surface?

Thanks

A

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDB423
in reply to: swartaZ6NR2

You have only created a profile 'view' for your alignment, if you select the profile view you should see a button called 'profile creation tools' on your ribbon. From here you can then draw your profile onto the profile view, it is similar to how you would draw an alignment.

JDB423_0-1724324518621.png

JDB423_1-1724324629447.png

It is also worth noting that you need to set a height for your profile view before drawing in the profile, you can do this by going into the profile view properties and editing the elevations.

JDB423_0-1724325001141.png

Message 3 of 7
ChicagoLooper

You can watch this 6 minute >>VIDEO<< by Jerry Bartels.

ChicagoLooper_0-1724359653377.png

The video demonstrates how to create a profile from a txt file. You will need  PVI Station and PVI Elevation. You also have the option to add vertical curve length.

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 7

To created the profile to showing in the profile view, You must using command create surface profile, and then add surface into profile view after that your profile view must have profile. 

Message 5 of 7
Jeew-m

Hi,

You can omit initial step of @JDB423 suggestion and directly go to step 2.

Select the profile view --> Right click - profile view properties --> Elevation tab --> User specified height

Select a height to show on the profile view

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
nkiakas

Hi @swartaZ6NR2 

The alignment object its only 2 dimension object. I think even if you used XYZ (not only XY) during the creation of the alignment, i don't think the elevation(s) data will be considered and create automatically any profile.

The reason that the profile view is empty, is because there no elevation data considered.

What you can do?

Import the elevation data (PVI + vertical curves) manually by station + elevation

You can also share your file a look

Regards

Message 7 of 7

Hi Teerawat,

Thank you - I think creating a surface is the best and easiest way to create a profile view. I have created a surface using feature lines offset from my alignment on either side of the alignment. Then I added these feature lines to the surface as "breaklines" this seemed to do the trick.

No I'm just trying to neaten up the surface boundary - still figuring it out.

PS. I did get the profile view to show the alignment, just by creating the alignment and using the "built-in" create profile view which comes default with the creating wizard. So it can be done, however as soon as I continue with creating a pressure pipeline from the alignment, then I need the surface, hence I confirm creating a surface is in the end the best solution.

Thus I am going to mark your response as the solution.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report