Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with TCOUNT command

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
julia.brophy13
1548 Views, 11 Replies

Problem with TCOUNT command

I've been using TCOUNT for a while now but this is the first time I've encountered a problem. The command seems to be numbering along the X axis (as I want) from highest X value to lowest (so it reads right to left) which is the opposite of what it is supposed to do and what it has done in the past for me - and even in one of the viewports of the project I'm working in. Is there a way to reverse this or reset it? I should mention that I'm working through multiple viewports, and in each one selecting the UCS based on an object to set the X axis for my TCOUNT command. Thanks!

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

With TCOUNT you have 3 options
X: order by increasing X coordinate
Y: order by increasing Y coordinate
Select-order: order by the order in which texts are selected(i suppose your case)
or as you mention your coordinate system is rotated as lower x values are on the right part of the screen
Message 3 of 12

Your numbers are going in the wrong direction because you have not chosen the 'X' option for sort selected objects.  Instead, you have chosen the Select-order option which will create numbers in the order that your crossing window has selected the objects. Either properly select the X direction option or draw your crossing window in the opposite direction.  

Chicagolooper
Message 4 of 12

Except I AM choosing the X option, and the objects to the left have smaller
X coordinates than the ones on the right. So in theory, the sequence should
read left to right, but it isn't.
Message 5 of 12

I am choosing the X order, Objects to the left have lower X coordinates
than those to the right. The sequence should read left to right, but it is
doing the opposite.
Message 6 of 12

Can you share with us the drawing or just sample
Message 7 of 12

If you are working through a viewport then your UCS is rotated so positive x is to the left while x=0 is to the right. Does your activated VP have a UCS symbol? does that UCS symbol have a small square at the intersection of the x and y axes? If there's no square, then your UCS is not set to World and your Positive X-direction may be pointing the wrong way and since it's responsible for the numerical sequence your numbers are going the the wrong way too.

You have multiple options:

1. If your modelspace has UCS set to 'World' then do it from modelspace, not through a viewport while on a layout tab.
  2. While working through your viewport, use Select option, not x-direction option, and draw your crossing window from left-to-right so low number are on the left and the high numbers are on the right.
  3. Change the UCS for the viewport to world.
  4. If you have ten (10) objects, then for (Start, increment) type in 10,-1 so your numbers are descending rather than ascending. The negative number for increment makes it descending. You will have to know the 'end' number (the total number of objects) to do it this way. 
Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 12

I apologize for the poor example but please see the attachment. I had to use screenshots to show what I'm doing - screen cast is not working, and I am at a company computer so it is not possible to change settings.

Message 9 of 12

1. I cannot use world ucs in model space because objects are at strange angles and X axis option will not work.

2. Direct select will work, but I'm trying to avoid it as I have hundreds of objects and it will be very time consuming.

3. I have rows of varying lengths, and I'm numbering across each row starting at the left, so using the last number (your example 10) and counting backwards would also be extremely time consuming and probably multiple errors as I'd have to count each row manually.

My placed UCS is accurate in that to the left are smaller values and to the right are larger. There must be something wrong with the program.

Message 10 of 12

No, there isn't anything wrong with the program. Your x-values are negative so the numbering sequence in the TCOUNT command is opposite and goes from right to left.

Chicagolooper
Message 11 of 12

It happens whether or not the numbers are negative. Moving the origin does not affect the result.

Message 12 of 12

It doesnt matter if coordinates are negative or positive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report