Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with bowties

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ines_forte_d_almeida
1309 Views, 5 Replies

Problem with bowties

Hi,

I'm using civil 3D version 2018. I have a problem with a curve in a corridor. It's creating a bowtie I cannot fix, without creating other problems in the corridor. After using the clear bowties option, the bowties desapiers, but I have big changes in the width of some lanes.

The pictures showned here are before and after I clear the bowtie.

Sem Título.pngSem Título2.png

Is there a way to fix this? I have already tried to split the corridor in more than two regions. I need to have the exact width and cannot change the assemblies because of the materials count.

Thank you for any help.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Try using polylines to target your corridor and increase the frequency of the corridor. Also try increasing the radius on the bend using the alignment drag options, this usually removes bowties

Message 3 of 6
ian.philpott
in reply to: M_c3d

This is never going to be an easy thing to model, the tight curve with wide non carriageway area is always going to be problematic.  The design has to change or you will need to change your assembly / modeling method.

Just working it through in my head, this is what I would try.

1. remove the off carriageway area from the assembly, just keep the kerb in at the edge of the road
  2. extracf a feature line from that top back of kerb
  3. draw a feature line at back of highway corridor 
  4. set levels at back of corridor using by reference to extracted top back of kerb then adjust manually if needed
  5.  Create a new assembly for footway only, working from back of corridor toward the road
  6. add the back of corridor feature line to corridor as a baseline 
  7. use new assembly and target top back of kerb feature line for width and level

like I said that’s off the top of my head, without testing. But that’s the route I’d try 

Ian Philpott
Technical Associate (BIM Speciailist)
Message 4 of 6

I have used targets from the begining, but after fixing the bowtie the corrider looses the target somehow, even thought the target is still marked.

I tried modifying the frequency, with no sucess.

Regarding the radius I'm not able to change it, because this is an already existing road, I'm only changing it's width and the outside (sidewalk, parking..)

Thank you for your sugestions!

Message 5 of 6

remove the target and re add it, this usually fixes that. Sometimes after a significant change it can not recognise it

Message 6 of 6

I'd use an offset assembly along the smaller radius, then build the offset assembly back to the roadway. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report