Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Elevation to MLabel Text

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Simon.BerthelsenGustafsson
357 Views, 6 Replies

Point Elevation to MLabel Text

Hello. I am quite new to Civil 3D and CAD in general so please bear with me. I have a bunch of points that I created by using the burst command on blocks that I received from a surveyor. These points have an elevation associated with them that I need to display as MLine text. Is there an easy way to do this? The points do not appear in the prospector for some reason, I assume because they are not COGO points. Would be grateful for some help that would save me from hours or mind-numbing manual editing. Thanks!

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Can you post an example of the points before the Burst command. It may be easier to convert them to Cogo Points and use a Point Label Style.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

I would give the same suggestion @AllenJessup said. You can use data extraction to export the properties from your blocks to Excel. Then, import the point file to Civil 3D, create Cogo Points from it and edit your Point Label Style. 

Data Extraction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6bnsvbmR4Q.
Import Point File: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pqXOYchd0.
Or... convert directly the blocks to Cogo points with this trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZ_ONrwH44

[PT-BR] Se essa postagem foi útil para você, clique em Curtir! Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar Solução.
[EN-US] If it was helpful to you, click on Like! If the answer solved your problem, click on Accept Solution.

EESignature

Matheus Lima
Civil Engineer | BIM for Infrastructure Enthusiast | BIM Manager | Instagram @bim_infra | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: Matheus-Lima

Yes. The last one, directly to Cogo Point, was what I'd hoped the OP could use. But it doesn't always work with all blocks. Then DataExtraction and Import will be the way to go.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Thanks to both of you for your help. I ended up following the YouTube video tutorial and turning my blocks directly into COGO points and using a label style to display their elevation. However, every other elevation in this drawing is displayed using a red "X" block and a MLine text window. I've attached a screenshot comparing the two. The two bottom points are the newly created COGO, while the top one is a block with a MLine text element. Is there a way to convert my labels into MLine text elements? I don't think it's important but I'm new to my job and don't want to mess up. Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 7

Yes @Simon.BerthelsenGustafsson, you can explode it twice to a Mtext, but I don't recommend it. If you explode, you would lose dynamics. Mtext is static, Labels are dynamic. Best wishes on your new job!

Cheers,

[PT-BR] Se essa postagem foi útil para você, clique em Curtir! Se a resposta resolveu o seu problema, clique em Aceitar Solução.
[EN-US] If it was helpful to you, click on Like! If the answer solved your problem, click on Accept Solution.

EESignature

Matheus Lima
Civil Engineer | BIM for Infrastructure Enthusiast | BIM Manager | Instagram @bim_infra | LinkedIn
Message 7 of 7

Looking at your screen shot. It looks like you're almost there. A little tweaking of the Point Label style should get them to look like your Mtext labels. Label Styles are challenging but a vital part of using Civil 3D.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report