Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Pipe Crossings

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
max_bellato
4006 Views, 16 Replies

Pipe Network Pipe Crossings

I need some feedback by the community as to how you all handle showing pipe crossings in profile.

Typically Wet Utilities are shown in a street profile but when you have a pipe crossing that does not cross the street centerline, the crossing ellipse in profile will not show.

Does Autodesk or anyone else have a trick to show the crossing pipe and keeping it dynamic?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Simon_Blain
in reply to: max_bellato

I place a structure on the pipe and show the structure with the pipe outline in profile (the structure is on a no plot layer)

I don't use a Null structure because I had trouble showing it in profile, I put a fake manhole.

ps: I took SS of the working dwg and not the production plan if you see strange lines or other stuff that's why 😉

Message 3 of 17
Simon_Blain
in reply to: Simon_Blain

more attachments

Message 4 of 17
nonbeard13

I create a pipe network for each utility (existing and proposed)

and use a data shortcut to get the pipes and data to show up in other utility or street profiles

And when you create your profiles, you can add the crossing pipes (yes you will need a new style for the crossing pipe) to your profile

you can use station/elevation to add a label to each crossing with an elevation and then edit the label for the utility size and name

this way the crossing are dymanic - just have to sync up things if you have multiple drawing open.

enjoy and good luck

nonbeard13

Message 5 of 17
max_bellato

Thanks for the feedback. 

When the pipes are drawn based on street profile they would need to cross the Alignment in order to show in Pipe as a crossing pipe but some pipes don't cross the alignment but still need to be seen in profile. That is what I'm struggling with. I don't want to have to draw a fake ellipse.

Thanks

Message 6 of 17
Simon_Blain

Try what I said and you won't need to have your pipe cross the alignement 😉

Message 7 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Hello SBlain

I just finished an exercise to create a crossing table using null structures. What kind of issue did you have using Nulls? I have not seen any apparent trouble yet, and hope one doesn't surface 😮

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Simon_Blain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

IIRC, I had trouble displaying null structure in profile view, without displaying them I couldn't see the pipe oultine in profile view.

So I used a *real structure* on a no plot layer to simulate a null structure 🙂

Message 9 of 17
jmayo-EE

Are you talking about the pipe end or the entire pipe being an ellipse? It's more common around here to show the pipe walls for a pipe that runs along the alignment. Ellipses are only for crosses.

If your talking about the pipe ends use a stc that depicts a block of the broken pipe ellipse. One for left and one for right.

If you want the entire pipe to show as an ellipse just select the pipe and draw it into profile. Assign a style (not a style override

in the prof view props dialog) that depicts the pipes as a crossing.

Post a picture of what you want to see.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
max_bellato

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. 

Message 11 of 17
Jawed-Sheikh
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe, 

Can you please refer the excercise which you have done? I want to learn from scratch from Datashort cut of each network then crossing the pipe and after I will create a profile. Any help to get an excercise? any efforts much appreciated.

Thanks 

Jawed

Message 12 of 17
Neilw_05

John has a great idea. However I'm not sure what part of the pipe the ellipse represents in the profile. It is the mid point of the pipe? If so it likely will not be a true representation of the projected crossing at the baseline. John?

Another solution to consider is adding a dummy pipe that crosses the baseline at 0% slope from the main pipe. It would then give a true crossing ellipse. It will need to be synched anytime the mainline gets changed though. You could put it in a separate network if you don't want it to interact with the real network.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 13 of 17
Jawed-Sheikh
in reply to: nonbeard13

Hi nonbeard13,

I need your help from your starting word.

1.  I create a pipe network for each utility (existing and proposed).

1. How you create a network, C3D pipe catelouge or import xml?

2. use a data shortcut to get the pipes and data to show up in other utility or street profiles.

2. How to create multiple data short cut in a file to create multiple utility profile ?

3. you can use station/elevation to add a label to each crossing with an elevation and then edit the label for the         utility size and name.

3. What is the method to add label for station/elevation for each crossing?

I need an excercise for all of your mentioned work. what is the best way and how can you help me. 

Looking forward

Regards

Jawed

Message 14 of 17

Hi j_architectureK8MJV ,

See below step wise details,

1. First step is to create in separate files the required networks, either from xml or civil 3d catalogues.

2. Create data short curt from those files.

3. Download those data shortcuts in a new file which having your required styles.

4. You can select either of the network first and download and create data short cuts.

5. After one network is created from data short cut, select second network and create data short cuts.

6. Now you are linked to both networks.

7. Now start creating profiles for the networks.

8. Then select the other network, wherever its crossing, rt click select draw in profile view, then select the profile view of that network part.

9. It will draw that network crossing part in the profile view, to make it looks circular, you need to change the style of this crossing pipe.

10. To do so, select the profile view, rt click and select the profile view properties and go to tab 'pipe networks', bottom tick the mark 'show only crossing pipes' .

11. It will show the crossing pipes, then under column ' style override' select the pipe crossing styles as you need and click ok button.

12. This will show that crossing pipe.

13. Set the FACETDEV System Variable to 0.05 to smooth out the look of the pipe crossing in the Profile View.

14. Now to label the crossing pipe, annotate- pipe network - single part profile - crossing pipe label style choose the style you need to show.

15. You can create your own style for crossing pipe by label style composer.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sinoj

Message 15 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

In my templates all blocks used for stc profiles attach at the rim/grate elev. Sample attached. When creating parts for pipe ends use a generic box or cylinder. These parts will have profile grips at both top and bottom for easier profile edits.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Ok, I misunderstood your previous comment. This is a great idea.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 17 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thx!

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report