Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting a surface issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lukas6
393 Views, 5 Replies

Pasting a surface issue

Hello guys, I have not worked with surfaces for a while, but I can remember I used to have issues with this in the past but can't remember if I found a way how to fix it or not. I have a surface with "holes" and am trying to paste another surface into it that partially covers those holes, but I am getting an "error performing edit" message or I do not get the message, but the surface does not get pasted. Does anyone have a solution or some kind of workaround fot that? Thanks.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
fcernst
in reply to: lukas6

Try creating a new blank surface and first paste the hole surface.. then paste the other in. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 6
lukas6
in reply to: fcernst

Of course I tried that prior to posting here, both options - posting one into another or vice versa, posting both into a new surface in either order ... did not seem to have any effect on the outcome 

Message 4 of 6
fcernst

What do you mean “ of course” .. DB

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 6
lukas6
in reply to: fcernst

Now when I read it again, I can see it may have "sounded" differently than what I actually meant, sorry about that.  What I was trying to say was that I tried all these (in my opinion) obvious ways how to do that and I should have written it in my original post.

Message 6 of 6
Jerry_Barnes

One of the reasons one gets an error message when pasting two surfaces together is that one of the surfaces has something that is in one surface but referencing the other surface. When the paste attempt occurs, C3D blows a fuse. It's difficult to determine what the problem is, exactly. It might be a feature line is referenced in both surfaces, for example. Or maybe a corridor surface. C3D doesn't tell you what the problem is, just that you have a problem so deal with it. This isn't a solution, just mentioning that problems other than surface holes can make things difficult. 

Having said that, I would try repairing the holes in the affected surface and try again. "It's always something." Just sayin'. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report