Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter manager dialog won't display in block editor

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
jnjhuz
3862 Views, 19 Replies

Parameter manager dialog won't display in block editor

My parameter manager dialog box won't display when I'm in block editor. I have 2 monitors and haven't changed my resolution. When I leave the block editor and type "Parameter" on the command line the parameter manager dialog comes up. If I type that on the command line while in the block editor my screen blinks like something happened but I don't see it.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
tcorey
in reply to: jnjhuz

It works for me if I edit a block, but not if I am creating a new block.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 20
tcorey

That's weird. The first time I tried to call it up, in a new block within Block Editor, the parameters manager would just flicker the screen. I got out of BE, called up parameters from the command line, closed it, edited an existing block, parameters manager displays. Get out, go back in, even with a new block and the manager displays.

Closed and re-opened AutoCAD and now the manager works every time. It's odd.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 4 of 20
jnjhuz
in reply to: tcorey

I was trying to follow a tutorial from Autodesk University. In the link
below it shows Tracy Chadwick creating dynamic blocks. At 47 minutes into
the video he brings up the parameters manager from within the block editor.

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/classes/yea
r-2016/autocad/gen20626#chapter=0
Message 5 of 20
jnjhuz
in reply to: tcorey

That is odd.

I still haven't got my parameters manager to open in my block editor.
Message 6 of 20
BlackBox_

@jnjhuz wrote:
That is odd.

I still haven't got my parameters manager to open in my block editor.

I'm having the same issue with Civil 3D 2018... Parameters Manager will not display in Block Editor.

Shows just fine when BE is closed, I've added it to a workspace, etc. and nothing displays it while in BE.

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 7 of 20
cwr-pae

What happens if you call up the parameter manager in model space, dock/anchor on the side and then open block editor?

Message 8 of 20
BlackBox_
in reply to: cwr-pae

@Anonymous wrote:

What happens if you call up the parameter manager in model space, dock/anchor on the side and then open block editor?

It is immediately disabled when BE opens, still shows as being anchored, and does nothing.  Only when anchored does it still display entering BE.

Hovering, nor left clicking it does anything... Right click only yields the option to toggle 'Icons only' or 'Text only'...The former causes the PM palette to completely disappear (just leaves a space where anchored), but is apparently still there, as a subsequent right click allows me to toggle it back to the latter thereby restoring the PM palette (which still does nothing).

Okay - As soon as I typed that out, and started to manually resize my non-maximized application window, in order to start recording a short video clip, the PM palette appeared, but was docked at top between ribbon and menu bar.  Maximizing shows it as being 1-3? pixels tall.  Reducing the window again it takes up enough screen that I was able to drag it out into the editor (floating).

I'm unable to repeat this in Civil 3D 2016 - I can clearly see 1-3? pixels being toggled on/off just under File Tabs. Since we cannot get to CUI Editor in BE, and PM palette does show correctly outside of BE, this is just frustrating.  Haha

Cheers

Cheers

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 9 of 20
cwr-pae
in reply to: BlackBox_

Suspected that, some how it has been moved out of the sub program window, not sure how to get it back, but will think on it.

Message 10 of 20
andrewpuller3811

I just tried it with Civil 3d 2017 and had odd results.

Starting a new block, when I run the parameters command, from within the block editor, with no parameters in the block, the ribbon moved down a couple of pixels but nothing else happened.

When I clicked on the parameters manager button, to turn the parameters manager off, the ribbon moved back up to its original location.

I added in a visibility parameter into the block and then ran the parameters command.

This time the parameters manager appeared but was docked in line with the ribbon (which probably explains the movement of the ribbon).

I was then able to undock the parameters manager and have it floating on the screen.

I then turned the parameters manager off then back on and the parameters manager palette reappeared where it was last placed.

I went out of the block editor and then went back into the block editor and when I turned the parameters manager back on it reappeared where it was last placed.

After closing Civil 3d and reopening it, I go into the block editor and run the parameters command, without any parameters in the drawing, and the parameters manager appeared in the location I last placed it.

Seems that having undocked it from the ribbon, the parameters manager palette is behaving as expected on my machine.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2023
Message 11 of 20
robw
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Hi, I had the exact same issue as  andrewpuller3811 .

I got around it by, inside the block editor, right-clicking in a blank space on the ribbon and selecting 'Undock'. The ribbon then popped up as a floating palette somewhere else on screen, AND, the Parameters Manager appeared where the ribbon had been. So I moveed the PM down as a floating palette and put the ribbon back in its rightful place.

Job done.

Just something else to try.

Good luck.

Message 12 of 20
Colin-Pearson
in reply to: BlackBox_

same exact thing happened to me just now... I kept seeing the screen flicker when I clicked the Parameter Manager icon, or typed PARAMETERS in the cmd line ... found a couple-pixel-tall space that appeared to be shoving the ribbon downwards, resized that and there is was.  It was open, but hiding.  Glad that's over!!!

Message 13 of 20
kostial.mk

Hi,

thank you for this thread, i had the same problem. Though I saw the 3 pixels, even with ribbon undocked, i couldn't  click on the PM (thus couldn't move or stretch it). In my case the commands CLEANSCREENON and CLEANSCREENOFF were what did the job. After that the parameters manager showed up right there with considerable greater height which allowed me to click it.

I just wanted to post it in case someone has similar problem.

Have a nice day!

Message 14 of 20
tcorey
in reply to: kostial.mk

That's a gem. Thanks.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 15 of 20
jonathanonofrio

Hi, I'm using 2021 AutoCAD. I had this issue and couldn't get it to work. randomly clicked 'Constraint status' from the Manage panel on the Block Editor contextual tab of the ribbon. that did the trick for some reason (I'm still learning, so maybe it's obvious, but not to me)

Message 16 of 20
jnjhuz
in reply to: jonathanonofrio

OK. Thanks. Good to know.

Message 17 of 20
KirkWM
in reply to: kostial.mk

Still an issue in 2022 and the CLEARSCREENON then CLEARSCREENOFF then running the command PARAMETERS brought it up. Wow thanks!

Message 18 of 20
jo_de_leeuw

1. Browse to the profile.aws file. The default location is in the following folder: 
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 20xx\Rxx.x\enu\Support\Profiles\Unnamed Profile\<profile>.aws
  2. Open the .aws file in Notepad.
  3. search for <AcParameterManagerPaletteSet name="BLOCK">
  4. change the following values (on my pc:) <DockInfo Left="0" Top="28" Width="1920" Height="0"
  5. to these values: <DockInfo Left="4200" Top="28" Width="1920" Height="800"
  6. open AutoCAD & go to blockeditor

hope this works for you!

Message 19 of 20
jdbreazeale
in reply to: jo_de_leeuw

This worked! I have been pulling my hair out scouring the Registry for the Parameters palette and it isn't even there. Thanks so much for posting!
Message 20 of 20
t_franks_australia

I just had this issue in AutoCAD LT 2023, however believe it is a glitch across software and versions.

Inside the Block editor my Parameters Manager was docked at the very top inside (above/before?) the main ribbon.

The only way I worked this out was to variously open and close the block editor, with a minimised, maximised window, and moving the application windoe between my 3 screes.

I was basically hiding, and the application window needed to be massaged in order for it to appear.

Hope this helps!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report