Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperspace - Copy object and paste in same location across all layouts

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
OliverE
14555 Views, 18 Replies

Paperspace - Copy object and paste in same location across all layouts

Hi,

I'm looking for a quick way to copy an object, say MTEXT, in paperspace and paste it to the same location in paperspace across every layout using one command. I don't want to have to use copy with basepoint or paste original because I have to repeat that command in every layout. Also whenever I use paste original in paperspace, the object disappears.

Any suggestions to speed this up would be great.

Oliver, Windows 10, C3D 2018

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: OliverE

Use the action recorder.

better yet record the action then add this to you acaddoc.lsp file (Command "MacroNameHere")

now batch publish/ SSM publish your layout tabs and they will all be done when the plot is finished.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
doben

I came across a LISP routine a couple of years ago that does exactly that.

Kudos to the author, Alan Thompson.

The file is attached.

Message 4 of 19
SmPeter

I know it's of no use to you for your current situation, but I would usually manage everything in my sheet layouts by using blocks during initial drawing setup, even if they are empty to begin with. I have the usual blocks for the title block, notes, legend, etc. and a couple of empty blocks with insertion at bottom left of sheet called Blank1 and Blank2 that I can rename and populate at a later date if required. Therefore if I need to add something to all sheets at the same location I can just utilise one of my blank blocks and have it update across all sheets in one step. I forgot to add scalebars once to a 72 sheet set and that blank block saved me from a lot of pain!

I would suggest, even if you use the lisp routine provided by one of the lads, rather than just copy the mtext across all of your sheets, add your text to a block, and then copy the block across all of your sheets. At least then if you need to edit the text or it's properties you can do so in one step by editing the block rather than having go through this process again.

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)
Message 5 of 19
jmessal
in reply to: doben

@doben  This is pretty slick! Thanks for posting!

Landon Messal, PE
CAD Systems Integration Engineer

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019.3
VMware Virtual Platform
Intel Xeon Gold 6244 CPU - 8 Cores at 3.6GHz
32GB's RAM
8GB's Graphical RAM

Message 6 of 19
jeff_rivers
in reply to: SmPeter

I concur.  I do this too when I have to repeat a text or an object (like a signature block) across multiple layouts.  Create the first instance of the text, block, or object, define it as a block with insert 0,0, defining the first instance as a block.

Then in every layout it's three keystrokes to insert: I <enter> <enter> (using zero zero as the insert point, and not exploding the inserted block).  

And later, if I need to update the text or block or whatever it is, I only need to explode, modify, and redefine any one of them and all will update.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 7 of 19
OliverE
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Thank you everyone for the useful information. I will try the LISP routine and keep the block ideas in mind for future use!

Message 8 of 19
Joe-Bouza

while you think things over consider custom  fields and SSM

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
OliverE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Of course, I'm just useless with the sheet set manager and not overly experienced with fields. I've been trying to figure out the best way to manage multiple layouts and titleblock information for a while and always seems to come back to the SSM...one day I'll spend some time playing around with it and finding help videos/tutorials.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 10 of 19
Joe-Bouza

There is plenty help out there  https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad+sheet+set+manager&rlz=1C1AZAA_enUS750US750&oq=Autocad+Sheet&...

Ask questions here no worries. I assure you it is not as complicated as it looks.

SHEETS HAPPEN: This document is old but considered the go by instructions

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
SmPeter

@OliverE if you are managing large sheet sets then the attached may help.

I put it together back in 2012 for a particular project I was working on that had a lot of sheet layouts and I was fed up with updating each title block whenever the set was revised. I was trying to learn vba at the time and thought it would be a good little project to learn. It is simply an attribute editor but it edits all instances of the block to match the values given. Useful if just revising a sheet set. I use it on an almost daily basis now. Be warned though, it edits all instances of the block to match your values, not just one! It will work with any block, not just title blocks. I kept meaning to add an option to prefix or append a value but just never found time to learn how to do it.

Admittedly I've never tried SSM though so maybe that does the job better, but the attached lisp and dvb file work fine for me. It's a bit rough as I never found time to tidy it up (I could never get the titles of the columns to work properly either so they are missing), but it's perfectly functional. You'll need to update your support file paths to the folder that the .dvb is saved in, and probably put it to the top of the support folders as I find it doesn't work unless the path is first in the list. The .lsp file just sets up the command and loads the .dvb file.

When loaded, type satt at the command line and you will be met with a blank window, you can use the pull down to select your block or use the button at top right to select it. Your attributes will then be loaded. You can edit an attribute as you would in the usual way using the box at the bottom. Attributes that have been edited are given a "*" next to them. Any attributes that have differing values across the blocks are labelled as *varies*. Any attribute value labelled as *varies* will keep it's current value unless you edit the value *varies*, which will then overwrite it for all of those attributes.

If anyone with more knowledge wants to upgrade this then be my guest, just send me a copy of the improved version :o)

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)
Message 12 of 19
OliverE

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion and sharing your lisp routine. Sounds very similar to ATTSYNC and GATTE commands. Do you prefer it over these?

Thanks

Message 13 of 19
SmPeter

@OliverE, yes it's basically the same as the GATTE command, but in a dialog box format as I find it speeds up editing multiple attributes. It could just be me but I prefer it that way.

ATTSYNC works a little differently. It updates the attribute properties of a block after editing. If you change the properties of, or delete/add attributes to a block in the block editor, those changes are not reflected in existing blocks, only new ones. To sync the attribute changes across all of the blocks you need to use the attsync command.

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)
Message 14 of 19
OliverE

Ok perfect, I always that GATTE should be a dialog box rather than click and type. Thanks for that and the clarification on ATTSYNC. I will surely give your routine a go.
Message 15 of 19
ChrisRS
in reply to: jeff_rivers

@jeff_rivers wrote:

… And later, if I need to update the text or block or whatever it is, I only need to explode, modify, and redefine any one of them and all will update.  

You should be able to avoid teh "explode, modify and redefine" set using the block editor or edit block in place.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
rita.chreim

I can't find the shortcut to the lisp after loading it. Any help?

Message 17 of 19
jmessal
in reply to: rita.chreim

CTAL  is the command to invoke the LISP routine

Landon Messal, PE
CAD Systems Integration Engineer

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019.3
VMware Virtual Platform
Intel Xeon Gold 6244 CPU - 8 Cores at 3.6GHz
32GB's RAM
8GB's Graphical RAM

Message 18 of 19
charlieBRS

Thanks doben, this is super handy - and yes, kudos to AT
Message 19 of 19
Amriya_Exe

Thanks doben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report