Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving location of annotative cogo point labels

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Abbington
2109 Views, 11 Replies

Moving location of annotative cogo point labels

Hello,

I am creating a drawing that shows multiple spot shots (cogo points) around a specific area. I need to show the entire site as a whole, which is coming in at 30 scale, as well as a blown up section of the drawing, at 10 scale. 

With standard Mtext/blocks I am allowed to set the location of each item at a given scale. Is there a way to adjust the location of cogo points in a similar fashion?

anno.png

Excuse the poorly drawn orange arrows, but this just shows the gap between the mark and text location. The text height is .08 in all instances.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: Abbington

It's a short answer and you're not going to like it: No.

Civil 3D labels, while able to re-size based on drawing/anno scale, do not maintain a location reference for different scales the way AutoCAD annotative objects do.

It's a wishlist item for sure.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 12
Pointdump

A,

Agree with Tim. I can only think of one possible workaround. Use duplicate points, maybe adding 1000 to the point numbers, and then make another Point Group just to display those point labels in the different location.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 12
Abbington

Thank you both for your input,

I ended up just saving off the file and creating 2 separate xrefs. Adding duplicate points would have been a good idea, if I run into this problem again I will have to try that route. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
mackland
in reply to: tcorey

This has been a concern for me since 2009, maybe earlier. I assumed it would be addressed in newer versions. Anyone know if it is new feature in 2018? 2019? If not let's keep asking for it. Multiple points could be trouble down the road for many reasons.

Message 6 of 12
mackland

I find that rotating in stead of moving the labels whenever possible helps. Then the gap is annotative as well. Still need to stay on Autodesk for a better fix though.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Hi, Cory. Thank you for your help with Cogo points. We use cogo points for a variety of reasons and in a variety of ways in the field of environmental remediation. The time associated with getting labels to show in a legible and professional way is the biggest drawback compared to a platform like GIS. We are waiting patiently for the wish list to come true, don't forget about us!

Message 8 of 12
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Anonymous

Just a thought...

If the points were in a survey database, then they could be inserted into two different xrefs. Each xref could be setup for a different scale. This workflow would keep from having duplicate points because the survey database would control the point number and location.

Here's a good write-up on the Survey Points Database by John Evans:

Sharing Point Data with the Survey Database

https://designandmotion.net/autodesk/civil-3d-sharing-point-data-survey-database/

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: C3D_TomR

Thanks. I am new to survey databases but I will check them out. The solution is not ideal for us because our work practices involve fluid Civil 3D drawings where points move freely in and out (i.e., we always start from scratch and points are uploaded in small or large batches, only as needed). Data associated with the cogo points also changes frequently. Sorry to make this about me! And my issues with labels extend beyond non-annotative offsets so maybe this is the wrong location to discuss but it's my first forum post!  

Message 10 of 12
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Your request is reasonable and this is a good location to post the question. I'll see if there's a workflow for using the survey database or an alternate solution such as Map 3D for the results you want. 

Someone else on the forums might have some additional suggestions as well.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 11 of 12
5stringb
in reply to: C3D_TomR

I'm using C3D 2019.  It's kind of crazy this hasn't been addressed yet by Autodesk.  I need the ability to relocate COGO point labels for detail views at different scales.  Otherwise, in the overview sheet things look fine, but in the detail sheets (at different scales) point labels are very far away from the points.  This leads to confusion in the field.  Which label is for which point?  If I move the point labels closer to the points for the detail scale, then everything is jumbled together in the overview drawing.

The only solution I've found is to plot at one scale, then relocate the (hundreds of) COGO point labels manually and plot again at detail scales (once for each scale).  Then combine the sheets into one PDF or physical sheet set.  If someone makes a change, you have to do it all again - every time!

This is the most inefficient thing ever.  If they're annotative and can be resized (which they can in 2019), why can't they be relocated for different scales?!  I mean I can move them, but they move for all scales.  So you have to optimize them for one scale, plot, then touch them all again at the new scale and plot again, and again...  Ridiculous.

Autodesk please fix this!!  Yesterday.

Message 12 of 12
ryanlaughlin

This is still an issue in version 2021. What a drawback. There is no usable workaround besides manually adding new, static annotative leaders. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report