Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapcheck Problems

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
srousey74V5X
2156 Views, 17 Replies

Mapcheck Problems

I continue to have issues running mapchecks in Civil3D. When trying to go around radius it seems to do whatever it wants to do. I have attached an image of my most recent problem. The label for the radius is correct. You can look at the properties to the right of the image and compare the info. You can see the red arc where the mapcheck is trying to go. It seems like it is completely ignoring the arc length info, and strictly going along the bearing the given chord length. I have seen many other post about people having trouble with the mapcheck, but never a valid answer to the problem. 

I am running Windows 10 and Civil 3d 2015, 2018 & 2019. It doesn't matter the version, I have the same problem in all versions.

Thank you.

Civil 3d 2023
Processor Intel i7-13700K Sixteen Core Enhanced Performance Processor
System Memory 32GB DDR5-4800 MHz (2 - 16GB DIMMS)
M.2 Storage 500GB SSD NVMe/PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drive Expansion Card Slot(s)
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Edition
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tcorey
in reply to: srousey74V5X

Can you post the drawing?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 18
rl_jackson

Change how the curve is calculated to Through Arc, that should make it follow your curve.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
srousey74V5X
in reply to: rl_jackson

The only options appear to be "Across Chord" or "Through Radius". I don't see a "Through Arc" anywhere.

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 5 of 18
rl_jackson

"Through Radius" was what I was referring too.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 18
srousey74V5X
in reply to: tcorey

Sorry it took so long to respond. Been busy. 

The drawing is attached.

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 7 of 18
tcorey

Put a tiny 1' radius curve where the line means the bulb and then it will work correctly.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 18
srousey74V5X
in reply to: tcorey

I'm not sure I understand? If I go around a 1' radius then I'm not going to the end of the curve/line. I have to go the actual bearing and distance down the line, and I have to go the actual curve data around the curve. If I fake in false information I'm not going to get a correct area or closure.

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 9 of 18
_Hathaway

I think you have exceed the mapcheck functionality with this one.  You will have to break the curve up into 2 parts for this to work within the base Civil3d progrem.  I am sure the issue is happening due to the extreme nature of the curve(large delta and non-tangent)

For us surveyors this type of geometry is fairly standard.  The Sincpac add on handles this mapcheck geometry just fine because it uses the pline (my preferred method) or other object types and not the label. 

Message 10 of 18
srousey74V5X
in reply to: _Hathaway

First of all, I would like to say think you and everyone else for the responses. 

However, I'm not sure I understand what is so "extreme" about a cul-de-sac?? As you say, "For us surveyors this type of geometry is fairly standard". We work with cul-de-sac's on a daily basis. We pay thousands of dollars for a piece of software that can't handle going around a curve?? I did a thousand and one mapchecks with C & G 10 years ago and it did it with a breeze, but this latest and greatest, most wonderful software on the planet can't calculate around a curve??  I don't mean to come across as rude to you. I'm quite thankful for the help. I just don't understand why the greatest thing on the planet can't simply calculate around a curve.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "Sincpac"?

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 11 of 18
tcorey

The routine doesn't appear to like the non-tangent line and arc. Either add some tiny object or use a different routine. You can turn the area into a parcel and then do the mapcheck there, or use the COGO Editor to load a polyline and check its closure.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 12 of 18
_Hathaway

The issue is in your label.  Your curve label must include delta.  When the delta is present the mapcheck works just fine.  You will need to ensure the curve is going the correct direction and that through radius is selected.  I was able to do this successfully.

I thought i had done this before and admit that is does not work within your drawing.  I created my own example really quick and it worked just fine.  The only difference was the curve data included in the label.

good luck.

Message 13 of 18
Bigbass300

Had this very issue. Adding the Delta to the lables and tables works. Thank You @_Hathaway  

Message 14 of 18
srousey74V5X

We never use delta in the curve data. I don't think I've ever seen a plat in the state of Georgia that included the delta in the curve data.

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 15 of 18
Bigbass300

@srousey74V5X I don't typically either, nor does your final plat have to include them (you can remove the delta from lables and tables after you run mapcheck) though I have seen many plats with the delta included. Civil 3D map check does apparently need it included to display and solve non-tangent, and compond curves correctly. 

Cheers! 

Message 16 of 18
srousey74V5X
in reply to: Bigbass300

I will have to give that a try. Thank you sir for the suggestion!

Civil 3d 2023
NVIDIA RTX A2000 12GB

Message 17 of 18
telze33

I have had similar issues with MapCheck as well.  For closures it seems like you have to use a combination of Parcels & Mapcheck analysis and the MapCheck feature in Civil 3D.  Arcs, however, always seem to cause problems. We recently had an issue where the Parcels approach wouldn't work because it has to be a closed polyline so it changes the figure slightly to get that (which screws up your map).

However, when you go the Mapcheck approach, even when we had the appropriate label styles so that it would pull the right information for "across chord" or "through radius" - we still had issues with the Mapcheck program changing the radius to the wrong radius.  We sent our drawing to CADMasters, and I wasn't surprised to find that they couldn't get to the bottom of it either.  They suggested using the Parcel mapcheck analysis segment report and pasting in the Survey Mapcheck closure error.  Not an ideal solution.  You would think after all these years, new add-ons in Civil 3D, etc....that they would create a functional program that could do these simple tasks.

It is just clunky to have the Parcel program and then a separate Mapcheck program, with no commonality between the two and also not much functionality to the user to complete the math in the way that makes the most sense.  Frustrating from Civil3D!

Message 18 of 18

As others have said, your curve label needs to have more info. I found that I could edit one of the curve label styles so that it would have length, central angle, radius, and chord bearing. After this change it worked fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report