Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAS point cloud import; how do I convert XY from degrees to feet?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1377 Views, 13 Replies

LAS point cloud import; how do I convert XY from degrees to feet?

I'm trying to bring in a .las file into Civil 3D, but it's not coming in correctly. The coordinate system of the file is WGS84. I set the projection in my drawing file to match, but when I bring in the point cloud, it seems to read the degrees of the XY maximum and minimum as feet. I cannot find where to fix this.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you have a small LAS file you could share. That way we could experiment with it.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hello Allen,

The smallest one I have is 251 MB. I'm not sure what the file size limit is here.

Message 4 of 14
AllenJessup

Yeah. That's too big and I can't access Dropbox or anything like that. Does it happen to be public source? Is there somewhere I can download it?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I should have thought of that. Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wwxf40t7ufep5i/150409_NVPSite_points.zip?dl=0

You can download directly from the link without Dropbox.

Message 6 of 14
AllenJessup

Unfortunately I can't. I'm blocked from anything that has Dropbox.com. Hopefully someone else will give it a try.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks anyway!
Message 8 of 14
gccdaemon

Have you tried setting the drawing units to metric? Just an idea. I can do point clouds, but don't know much about WGS location.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

I tried that, along with changing the drawing coordinate system. The problem is that it seems to be interpreting the lat/longs as linear coordinates, so what should be about 48 acres comes in as .0061 ft. .0061 m wouldn't be any better.
Message 10 of 14
gccdaemon

I think I know what you're talking about now. I have had the same problem with FEMA data. I think you'll have to use ARCGIS or some other GIS software to translate it into state plane coordinates. I wound up having our survey dept fix it...lol.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

Maybe I can talk my boss into getting Spatial Analyst. ET vtools doesn't import las files.

Message 12 of 14
AllenJessup

It looks like the LAS2LAS.exe from https://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/ might do it. But it doesn't look too user friendly.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Boy, am I ever stoopid. The answer is right there in the dialog box when I import the point cloud. Set the drawing coordinate system for what it needs to be, then set the cloud coordinates for what they are, in this case WGS84 LL, then let the computer do the work.
Message 14 of 14
gccdaemon

Glad you got it figgured out. Don't forget to mark it as an answer!

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report