Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

knowledge base

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Hidden_Brain
728 Views, 13 Replies

knowledge base

may be a little off the topic question:

how does everyone maintain their "bag of tricks" for Civil 3D? i have a guy at work who does it with post-its and hand-written notes for a E$RI product, and he has a ton of them, pasted all over. i like that idea, but the problem is, the rate at which i am learning Civil 3D every day, thanks to people like Jeff, Sinc, JohnM, Joe, Bill etc to name a few, soon i will run out of "real-estate" on my cube wall!  i definitely find it hard to have all those "tricks" on my finger tips at all times. i am familiar with things like RSS Feeds etc, but even then, i have to go spend the time looking for a particular one in time of need. i have seen on these DBs that people will paste instructions in form of webpage links right of the bat! amazes me how they keep track of these information, sometimes even from other blogs/forums.

let's just say i want to learn the "trick" to better manage the "tricks" that i have already learned from you guys!Smiley Wink

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

I have a couple of things I use while making the transition from a building tech to a civil tech.  I have a (large) post-it on my desk of just commands that I might need, but will forget if they aren't written down.  I have a small coil note book where I write short comments, commands, etc.  Then I have a Folder in my email where I can store (and email myself tips/ links).  I knew a tech who had binders (I mean three or four full), but in this age I can't justify printing everything out only to have it sit around and take up space.  Who needs to filp through folders when i can search a key work and have all the possibilities in front of me.

I hope that helps!

Linds

Message 3 of 14

I created a blog post to put things in. I find it convenient to just have a link to go to rather than having to find a piece of paper. http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2007/07/command-reminders.html 

Message 4 of 14

Try something like Evernote.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 14
Murph_Map
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

I had a notepad txt file I wrote most of mine in then a simple lisp statement in my startups so all I did was enter my "shortcuts" command and the txt file would open. Made it easy to cut/paste from the txt to the command line or the FDO connections strings.

(defun C:Shortcuts ( )
(startapp "notepad.exe" "C:\\Murph Map\\shortcuts.txt")
)

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 14
wfberry

I don't think it is a good idea to ask Jeff how he does it.  He apparently was born with an extra memory bank.  I know it's not fair, but that is how it appears to me.

Bill

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

If you use MS Office, try office notes - then you can use search functions on your notes and have "virtual post-its" on your desktop 😉

Message 8 of 14
gccdaemon

Custom icons for me. I've got all my own toolbars with flyouts galore, and I use macro's in them. for example I use this to do all my default setting in a drawing:

"MIRRTEXT;0;PLINEGEN;1;TEXTFILL;1;REGENAUTO;ON;UCSICON;ON;UCSICON;OR;INSUNITS;0;-UNITS;2;4;2;6;E;N;PSLTSCALE;1;MSLTSCALE;1;INPUTHISTORYMODE;8;CMDINPUTHISTORYMAX;100;OSNAPZ;1;LAYISO;S;OFF;;;VISRETAIN;1;LAYEREVAL;0;HPORIGINMODE;5;HPDRAWORDER;1;SAVETIME;2;ISAVEPERCENT;50;ISAVEBAK;1;PUBLISHCOLLATE;0;FIELDEVAL;31;DIMASSOC;1;NAVVCUBE;OFF;NAVBARDISPLAY;0;NAVBAR;OFF;GRAPHSCR;"

And this for setting my basic options when I get a new version of AutoCAD installed:

"ROLLOVERTIPS;0;TOOLTIPS;1;VISRETAIN;1;LAYISO;S;OFF;;;VIEWRES;Y;20000;xfadectl;55;FULLPLOTPATH;0;TEMPOVERRIDES;0;LAYLOCKFADECTL;0;PUBLISHCOLLATE;0;LAYEREVAL;0;LAYERNOTIFY;0;FIELDEVAL;31;FIELDDISPLAY;1;ISAVEBAK;1;SAVEFIDELITY;0;OSNAPZ;1;PROXYSHOW;1;PROXYNOTICE;0;XEDIT;1;DIMASSOC;1;APERTURE;3;CURSORSIZE;5;PICKBOX;3;GRIPSIZE;4;GRIPCOLOR;5;GRIPHOT;1;GRIPHOVER;3;WINDOWAREACOLOR;5;CROSSINGAREACOLOR;1;SELECTIONAREAOPACITY;50;PREVIEWFILTER;38;SELECTIONPREVIEW;2;PREVIEWEFFECT;1;GRIPOBJLIMIT;250;SAVETIME;2;ISAVEPERCENT;50;PICKSTYLE;0;PICKDRAG;0;PICKADD;1;PICKFIRST;1;GRIPBLOCK;0;GRIPTIPS;1;NAVVCUBE;OFF;NAVBARDISPLAY;0;NAVBAR;OFF;HPORIGINMODE;5;HPDRAWORDER;1;CMDINPUTHISTORYMAX;100;GRAPHSCR;"

YAY ME!

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 9 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gccdaemon

I go to the discussion group and ask again. Smiley Surprised

I don't have a real good system, but I know post-its don't work for me;  I invariable wrap a worn out peice of gum or booger up in it.

Keep a Journal electronic is cool but there is nothing comprable to that warm fuzzy feeling of reviewing your own hand writting

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gccdaemon

Ever hear of acaddoc.lsp file Smiley Wink

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Murph_Map
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

I go to the discussion group and ask again. Smiley Surprised

Or Speed Dial Email your favorite guru on the subject in question.  🙂

Murph
Message 12 of 14
Murph_Map
in reply to: Murph_Map

The new qHelp

Murph
Message 13 of 14
Jeff_M

Now I LIKE that! Smiley Very Happy

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 14 of 14
Hidden_Brain

best tip so far Smiley Very Happy

so how do i set it up?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report