Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to ignore duplicate points?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nostupidquestions
1664 Views, 7 Replies

is there a way to ignore duplicate points?

i've got 2 point files that are almost identical but one file has some additional points mixed in. i imported the first file now i want to import the second file and ignore the duplicate points thus only importing the unique points. there is no ignore duplicate points option that i can find. is ti possible?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Off the top of my head. I'd import the total second file and set the program to add 10,000 or whatever brings them out of your normal point range. Then you can easily erase all the points in that range. Possibly someone has a neater way to do this.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: nostupidquestions

If the files are indeed the same, other than the extra points in the second file, why import the first file at all?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 8
nostupidquestions
in reply to: tcorey

the survey crew shot a bunch of points which i put in my drawing. then the went back out and shot some more points but just included them in the original file. ideally those points would have been added to the end of the point list but i think they filled in some point gaps because there are a few things missing in the drawing. so without having to go through both points lists it would be easy just to import the second set of points and ignore the duplicates. but it looks like i'm going to have to just weed through the points and/or get with the crew. i thought ignoring duplicate points would be a quick fix. i guess not. thanks though.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 5 of 8

You should get together with the crew anyway. Not a good workflow to add new points to an existing point file.

I think my method would be faster than manually weeding through a point file.

C1.PNG

Is there any reason you couldn't just overwrite the original points. If they are truly duplicate it shouldn't matter.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

i could overwrite the original points except i've already gone through and cleaned up their point codes. survey crews seem to be untrainable in using the correct point codes. plus they measured the circumference of all the trees and i already converted them to diameter. i'm not in charge and no one listens to me. again, ignoring the duplicate point numbers would be the quick workaround.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 7 of 8
jroot

Unfortunately this happens to us quite often too.  In our process, we end up converting our points to a CSV.  At that point it's easy to open it in Notepad and quick delete everything except the new points, then import just that file.  No duplicates to worry about (as ling as the point numbers don't overlap)

Message 8 of 8
Jeew-m

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report