Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create 2 points with the same number in civil 3D?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Mahmoud-elsayed145
863 Views, 9 Replies

just like parcels & sites.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

The software will NOT allow two or more points with the same number.  Also, it will not allow you to use the same point NAME.  Consider adding the secondary point with a large number added to it, like 1 and 1001, etc.

Message 3 of 10
KirkWM
in reply to: Mahmoud-elsayed145

Yeah you can't have points with the same point number, but for labeling purposes there are ways around this. You can use all sorts of methods like property sets, UDP, new object data fields, even point expressions could be of some use. What are hoping to do? 

Message 4 of 10
Mahmoud-elsayed145
in reply to: KirkWM

Its all about labeling, I’m just want to use multiple of point groups with label of a letter followed by a number, and I use point number as the number part and I want to use numbering 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, in each group. Could you show me a method or a replacement for point number in numbering part? 

Message 5 of 10
KirkWM

So same letter for all points in same point group, got it. Can it be any letter or do you need a specific letter? If you need a specific letter, are you using the point group description currently for anything? If not I could make a script that uses that as the input for the letter you want. 

Message 6 of 10
Jeew-m

I think you can use THIS to come out with a solution.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 10
KirkWM

Here is the Dynamo way but this could be done manually as well but depends on the number of points you are working with. I used Dynamo to create a UDP then got the description of the point group to be the letter you want to prefix the point number. Then for each point group a number range, starting at 1, is made for each group then combined with the letter and then updates UDP for the selected points.  You can then create a point label style and include the UDP property "Grouped Point Number" in it. You only need to create the UDP definition once and then you can "freeze" it (the one that's greyed out). The script only updates UDP if the point group description has been set. The script also uses the Civil3DToolkit package in addition to the out of the box Dynamo for C3D. Hope this helps!

If you want to learn more about Dynamo for Civil 3D come join the forum here: https://forum.dynamobim.com/invites/UCUDqZKabL

UDP Created.jpg

Group Desc.jpg

Point UDP Point Group Desc v0_2021-11-01_04-45-58.png

Message 8 of 10

If I may ask, why would that be done? sounds confusing to me

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
KirkWM

I had a manager once that wanted, for each layout sheet, to have points restart back at 1 but I think I convinced him not to do that but others might not be as lucky.

Message 10 of 10

😮

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report