Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import point files with contracted coordinates

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Alriddin
308 Views, 2 Replies

Import point files with contracted coordinates

Good day,

The scenario is as follows:

Surveyor A provides a point file where the coordinates have been contracted, and he has removed the constant values for the coordinates. See File "Top half without digits.csv".

Surveyor B provides a survey from the same construction site, but his point file has the full coordinate value. See File "Bottom with additional digits.csv".

I import the first point file without any problems. But when I import the second, where the coordinates have the full value, and constant of 28 000 000, the points are placed more North than they should be. For this example, the point file format has been given as DENZ (Comma Delimited)

Is there a way to configure Civil 3D to exclude the constants when importing the point file, so that the points from the different surveyors are placed in the correct position? Ideally I would like C3D to handle this problem, as the point file formats are not always the same.

I have also attached the dwg file.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Pointdump
in reply to: Alriddin

Alastair,
"Is there a way to configure Civil 3D to exclude the constants when importing the point file..."?
In Civil 3D, no way I can think of. Probably going to have to translate/truncate in Excel. Even if you use the Transformation Tab to truncate coordinates, you'll still have two disparate sets of points.
When I try to open your drawing, I get the "Upgrading COGO points" bar at bottom right of drawing, and it hangs. I'm guessing it has something to do with C3D being confused about using one of the South African Coordinate Systems. (South is at the top of the View Cube.)
Are the "SA-X", "RSA-X" and "RSA-Y" columns created from User-Defined Property Classifications? What is "SA-X"?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 3
Alriddin
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave,

The SA-X and RSA-Y are only set as column headers when configuring the point file formats. This is most likely to match the data provided by some local surveyors. I unfortunately don't have much further information, as those file formats are installed with the South Africa country kit. I did however notice that the RSA YXZD point file format is configured using Easting and Northing inputs.

As for the truncated coordinates, I was hoping that this could be done in C3D, especially if the point files are provided in different file types such as CSV, txt, or even mdb. Thanks for the info though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report