Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import PNEZD with alpha-numeric points

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
DawnAW
1784 Views, 7 Replies

Import PNEZD with alpha-numeric points

I have a PNEZD file that has alpha-numeric point designations.  I would like to import this using the IMPORTPOINTS dialog box.  However I cannot do it because it will not recognize the alpha numeric points.

Here is an example:

19172C 507225.354 1268120.590 351.866 TRAV
19172D 507067.194 1268410.146 349.238 TRAV
19172E 506751.744 1268822.419 334.876 TRAV

I am using Civil 3D 2018.  Is this possible in later versions?  If not, is there a workaround?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MMcCall402
in reply to: DawnAW

To the best of my knowledge, alphanumeric point numbering is not supported.

I'd suggest setting up a User Defined Property (UDP) for that point numbering property then importing the the points with a format that sends the alphanumeric number to that UDP and allow the points to be automatically numbered. 

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 8
cwr-pae

C3D only allows numeric for point numbers. You can use alpha-numeric point names and have them function as numbers for labeling, display, etc. In the point file format change point number to point name, when the points are imported it will use the names and assign sequential point numbers that can effectively be ignored.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

You can import and modify the input format. Where you select PNEZD format click modify and change point number to name.

Points will import and be allocated point numbers but the name will be the actual name of your point. 

Message 5 of 8
DawnAW
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't see that option.  Can you explain again where that is, or send a screenshot?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M

2020-09-22_9-42-34.png

Double-click the Point Number column, select the Name property, OK

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 8
DawnAW
in reply to: Jeff_M

That was so helpful.  Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
jason_deiwert
in reply to: Jeff_M

Does this action work for C3D as well?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report