Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Civil 3D profile from one file to another

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
vaibhav.Hemraj
1271 Views, 4 Replies

Import Civil 3D profile from one file to another

Hello All,

I am working in civil 3D 2022.  I have a profile alignment (file A). I've changed the surface in another file (file B).Now I want the same profile alignment  (of file A) into file B (so that I can simply edit the original profile instead of redesigning the whole profile). If I copy and paste (from A into B), the profile is coming but along with the whole surface and other details. I want the profile alignment (of file A) alone into B. 

Hope I 'll get some help.

Thanks

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pperales2
in reply to: vaibhav.Hemraj

Hello,

You will need to data shortcut the profile into the other drawing. See attached image for location of data shortcut.

pperales2_0-1665766804570.png

For example, you have the profile in "FILE A" you woold go to TOOLSPACE>PROSPECTOR> Right Click Data SHortcut> Set Working Folder > Then right click the Data shortcut tree again> New Data shortcuts project folder

If that is done correctly the datashorcut tree will have something like ["Name of Working FOlder"/"Name of Data shortcut project folder"]

Noe in "FILE A" where your original profile is you would again go to the TOOLSPACE>PROSEPECTOR>RIGHT CLICK Data shortcut tree> Click CREATE DATA shortcuts> a create datashortcut dialog box will appear in which it is in a tree format> from there you click the Civil3D entities you would want to bring into another drawing (in your case the profile)

NEW DATA SHORTCUT FOLDER (NOT THE WORKING FOLDER)

pperales2_2-1665767255291.png

CREATE DATA SHORTCUT DIALOG BOX

pperales2_1-1665767205710.png

Message 3 of 5
RobertEVs
in reply to: pperales2

Copy and paste any smart object (alignment, profile, surface, grading....) between drawings is asking for trouble. 

pperales2 solution is spot on

Message 4 of 5

Thanks pperales2 for your quick and crisp response. I am trying this thing and hopefully, I will get my profile string into new drawing file. 

Message 5 of 5

Hi @vaibhav.Hemraj @pperales2 ,

Have you found the solution for copying a profile from File A to File B?

If so could you please share a detailed procedure as I am finding it hard to follow after creating data shortcut

Thanks & Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report