Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble turning this closed polyline into a Boundary

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ryan_liebscher
471 Views, 12 Replies

I'm having trouble turning this closed polyline into a Boundary

I've been trying to WEED the line, close irregular gaps, and even turning the line (I've heard it sometimes works) into a 3D polyline and back with no avail...can anyone lend a hand on how to do this?  I've tried separating the closed polylines into several areas (smaller areas) and still cannot create the boundary...what do I need to consider to make this work as a boundary?  

Attached is the file with the surface:

**I'm using Civil 3D 2016

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: ryan_liebscher

I'm not in front of civil at the moment but have you LISTed the polyline to see if there are any odd things showing? I'll take a look tomorrow if no one else chimes in

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
ryan_liebscher
in reply to: neilyj666

Neilyj,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did try using LIST and nothing looked strange when I browsed the findings...at least, nothing jumped out at me as being strange.  If you get a chance, I'd be grateful for your assistance in creating this boundary!

-Lieb

Message 4 of 13
neilyj666

I'm having the same issues...the only thing I can think of is that the polyline may be creating a very small loop somewhere and is intersecting itself.

The only suggestion i can think of is to break up the boundary into smaller areas and try adding these to copies of the surface and then pasting into a new composite surface....bit of a long shot though

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 13
troma

I tried a couple of tricks to no avail.

I tried offsetting the line 1 and then 1 back again. (This can help with overlapping segements.) Didn't make any difference.

I tried using the BOUNDARY command to make a new polyline on top of this one. But for some reason it wouldn't work. It didn't recognize that there was something there to define a boundary around it.

Then I decided to look at the drawing settings and came across something odd.

This error message popped up about 5 times before it let me into the settings.

please enter a value error.png

Once I'm in the settings box, only two tabs out of five are available. And whenever I try to switch tabs, the same error pops up again a couple of times.

strange error.PNG

So, there could be something wrong with this drawing. But maybe it's just because I'm opening a 2016 drawing in 2013. 

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 13
autoMick
in reply to: troma

Another trick is to try and add a hatch inside the polyline and see what happens

(but when I went to fix the indicated location - which was fine - I still couldn't add the boundary).

I've had this issue before with complex boundaries and the only fix was to keep weeding down to less vertices. I assume that there is a hard wired limit on the number of vertices allowed somewhere in Civil3d.

My suggestion is to break the boundary into a number of smaller chunks, weed them, then join them back up. Making sure that the final boundary is 'closed' when you finish.

Cheers

- Mick

error.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 7 of 13
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: troma

Mark, I have seen this error appear when using 2014 to open drawings started in 2013, and trying to access the drawing settings tabs.
Message 8 of 13

I tried lineworkshrinkwrap, convert3dpolys, explode-pedit and mapclean (not in that order); does not seems to help, hmmm...
Message 9 of 13

I offset the boundary line .01' and tried creating a boundary from that...well, it starts, begins the processes but "fatal errors" about halfway through leaving gme to start over.  That's the closest I've gotten with this boundary...Perhaps you're correct in assuming there's a hidden limit of vertices for boundaries...I'm going to keep trying, we'll see what happens.  Thank you all for the time spent on this endeavor!  

Message 10 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Try exploding then MAPCKEAN

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
ryan_liebscher
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I exploded everything, MAPCLEAN'd, PEDIT (Multiple), Joined and re-tried...same result...
Message 12 of 13
ryan_liebscher
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

So I kept running into the contours in my surface definitions disappearing.  I created a new drawing with only the pieces I needed for the surface (contours, and boundary) and was able to create the surface I was after.  I then saved the file as a data reference.  I did the same for the EG surface and created a data reference with it too...

Now, creating a new file that is clean and trying to use the volumetric surface comparing the two data references, I now continue to get an error stating I'm out of memory...I've cleaned my Graphics Cache file numerous times...often only erasing a couple pieces of data...what can I do now to not crash the program as it's stating I'm running out of memory?  Is there more memory I can free up to accomplish this volumetric surface?  The files are only 6.5Mb and 50Mb and my new file referencing the EG and my comparative surface only comes out to 800Kb...?

Message 13 of 13
autoMick

My strategy was to 

- OFFSET the line by 0.1' to the outside (successful, although the first time I tried it Civil3d thought it was a 3dpoly, so I used CONVERT3DPOLYs to flatten it)

- WEEDFEATURES (1 deg, 5' = got it down to about 3,000 vertices)

- cut the boundary in half add a connecting line and join them to form a new boundary for half of the surface

- Add this new polyline as the boundary

If you haven't tried this strategy, give it a go and see if it works for you.

Also LINEWORKMERGE is another command that can be useful for bringing together exploded linework

Cheers

- Mick

Capture.PNG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report