Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop synchronizing data reference when opening a drawing?

51 REPLIES 51
SOLVED
Message 1 of 52
wang890
11509 Views, 51 Replies

How to stop synchronizing data reference when opening a drawing?

is there a way to stop the synchronization at the start? i would like to synchoronze manually later.

any system variables?
Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
51 REPLIES 51
Message 41 of 52

I could do the same in Civil3D - that's not really the issue.  In most cases I want the references, I just don't need CAD to resynchronize to the latest greatest edition of the 3D entity.  and generally it's not an issue with xrefs just data references to things like networks, surfaces, corridors, etc

Message 42 of 52
Neilw_05
in reply to: jwilliamsZRQUC

One factor that you may need to consider: if you have C3D objects in an XREF that are also being DREF'ed in your drawings, any edits to the XREF will trigger a synch. This is because C3D will see a source dwg was edited and the shortcuts need updating, even if the objects weren't modifed. To get around this you would want to create C3D objects in separate files that don't get XREF'd into drawings.

This may have been brought up already, but being an old thread I haven't read through it.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 43 of 52
jwilliamsZRQUC
in reply to: Neilw_05

We definitely try to adhere to that idea - that no xrefs should have "vertical information" - typically just polylines at zero elevation.  then have utility, street, surface base dwgs with data refs that don't get xref'd into drawings at all.

Message 44 of 52
rl_jackson
in reply to: JamesMaeding

@JamesMaeding 

I work remotely, about 10 hours' drive time (800 miles) from the PC I log into each morning. I use DR's XR's and etransmit files to other firms for use. All of this is accomplished through the use of ConnectWise and I have little or no issues with lag short of the occasionally need to do a restart of the PC from my remote location. All data stays on the corporate servers and I too have access to the PC's that others in my group are using which helps with training as @Neilw_05 had mentioned. I'm in the office but never physically there.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 45 of 52
JamesMaeding
in reply to: rl_jackson

@rl_jackson 

I think connectwise is about same speed as teamviewer. It seems to be their competition.

I've had trouble getting remote to work on apple devices so I wonder if this works between pc and iphones.

Anyway, the question at hand is your tolerance of lag.

I also have no issues with it when not drawing for hours at a time, but its a killer beyond that.

How much drawing are you doing, and would you say you are fast with key-ins, or use toolbars/ribbon and GUI stuff a lot? This is a funny subject as its hard to put into words the lag anyone experiences.

We don't have millisecond awareness, unlike Data who said it was an eternity for an android.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 46 of 52
jwilliamsZRQUC

I like it.

I'm in a smaller office of 7 engineers but finding we work on some really large projects in Land Development (large networks, surfaces).  When the newest principal of your company has worked here (same company) 13 years, change is sometimes slow and some engineers aren't the best at IT development (we don't have an IT dept), but I knowing what might work can lead to some improvements

Message 47 of 52
rl_jackson

@JamesMaeding 

Most days I'll have C3D open and in use to some degree for the majority of the day. Infact the PC that I work on was specifically purchased for UAV Lidar Point Cloud work that these will generally be 10GB+ datasets that are processed on the system and then go through the cloud to create break lines and other features. I do on occasion get lag during these sessions, however nothing a simple restart can't resolve (although a pain). Most of the time the system runs for days on end without restarting and I'm steady working on data that eventually goes to our in-house design teams or to the client's design team. In these instances, I'm using XR and DR (surface & alignment files) for the creation of Design Surveys (Topo's) with some being parts of 4-6 sections. Here I've learned that getting the data a little dumbed down is helpful. Linework is all 2d data that I then Xref and the surface file is the only 3D element that I do cropped surfaces of for the area of interest. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 48 of 52
JamesMaeding

@rl_jackson 

I am interested in the "then go through the cloud to create break lines and other features" part.

Do you mean they go to a service like Airworks that does that, or a computer only process?

I have heard of engines that can do that, but they seem experimental.

The idea is easy where you basically are looking for "creases" in the mesh normals. Cloudcompare can do that but it needs guidance.

I am convinced there is something that does it well, as a topo flight company we use seems to generate thousands of breaklines on some projects, which seem too expensive for people to do. I have not seen it though.

thx

Message 49 of 52
rl_jackson

For the 3rd time tonight!!!!!!

The firm does not use a service, we have strayed away from that for the purpose of knowing what the product is that we are providing to our clients (There is some outside data processing but that’s based on the need for computing power). I’ve had discussions with aerial firms regarding break lines and they too must use the brute force method of a CAD grunt going through the cloud data for those also (They have some tools), notably in obscure areas they have field crews for back up ground collection. It’s not easy breaking into UAV/S, its cutting edge and the budget gets busted quickly in learning the ins/out of the cloud, processing, and the shear amount of data.

I’ve tested some solutions, used Cloud Compare, Infraworks, I’m playing with Recaps new features and have Topodot, all have there “quirks”. With CC you do need to train it, through classification etc… I’m working on that one.

As for the aerial guys creating the breaks, from what I understand they are using Topodot (along with a couple of super expensive additions) but its been trained to understand the data(this is geographical), it’s all the same as CC, IW and Recaps new features, it’s about training. If you have access to Topodot, I’d recommend checking it out.

For now I will humbly say – this is work in progress.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 50 of 52
JamesMaeding

@rl_jackson 

Sorry, I did not catch you mentioning that before.

Excellent reply, you are on top of this. I've seen that CC recognition stuff, pretty amazing.

I don't think the pattern recognition systems are good enough yet though. Like you say, very quirky.

The problem is humans have a hard time explaining what caught their eye on various things that are not ground and how they dealt with them. Or many times I know exactly how I would describe what I want selected, but have no API access to the program at hand to attempt to code that up.

I usually want like "pts that are next to a hole, where a car was, that curl up 1 foot or less, whose color is not pavement-like". The color thing is what most classification can't deal with.

Message 51 of 52

Quick Q - I'm late to this discussion... Are your c3d objects in their own files or included in files with regular linework for your sheets?

DREF synch is based on the file timestamp. Up to v2016, all DREFs are cached and only synched when that timestamp is newer. 2017 added the option to cache surfaces (https://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=1739).

If your objects and regular linework are in the same file, then the timestamp is constantly changing.

The thread is so long, I maybe already stating the obvious... sorry.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 52 of 52

Well, they did come up with a better solution. It's Autodesk Docs. Puts the files locally to your machine wherever it is, and can be offline if needed.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report