Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy a layer and its name in autocad

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
darrell.kennedy
16801 Views, 6 Replies

How to copy a layer and its name in autocad

Okay feeling a little incapable this morning. I somehow this morning went to copy a layer and just add a suffix on it such as -1, -2, -3, etc, and I pressed a key that duplicated the layer and kept its name with it and left the original layer there, allowing me to add the suffix to the duplicate.

Anyone know how to do this? or am I losing it?

Thanks,

dk 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mortond
in reply to: darrell.kennedy

DK,

Try turning off all layers in your drawing besides the specific layer you want to make a duplicate of. Then use command _copytolayer and select all of the layer you want to copy. Hit Enter. Type "Name". Then type the name you want the new duplicate to be called in the Destination layer field (Original -1). Then hit okay and it will ask you if you want to create the layer. Yes.

Then type "displacement" and hit enter then enter 0 for the displacement field and you should have a duplicate layer of the original.

Hope this helps.

Dean

Message 3 of 7

I figured it out. See my response to colleagues below:

Have you ever wanted to create a new layer that is a copy of another layer, but the only thing you want to change is possibly a suffix?

For example current layer is: _ACM-H-Remediation-Site

New layer wanted is :_ACM-H-Remediation-Site-Bravo1

Well after accidently pressing a key this morning I had to do some investigating and found a major time saver.

1. Single, long click the layer name in the layer manager (i.e. go to change the name).
  2. Type your desired suffix.
  3. Press comma.
  4. BOOM! New layer is created that is a copy of the existing layer but this time it includes the suffix AND the original layer is maintained.

Give it a try!

Reference:

http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/keyboard-shortcuts-for-creating-new-layers.html

Cheers,

Message 4 of 7
dbanaszak
in reply to: darrell.kennedy

I'm using 2017 and tried what you suggested. If I type a suffix I get a copied new layer with just the suffix as the name. 

Message 5 of 7
darrell.kennedy
in reply to: dbanaszak

Hi dbanaszak,

Do not delete the layer name. Only add a suffix to it then press comma. The original layer will remain there unchanged and a new layer will be created with the suffix added onto the existing layer name.

I work in 2018, I have not tested this feature out in previous years, but it should work the same.

Cheers,

dk

Message 6 of 7

That is awesome, what a time saver!

@darrell.kennedy wrote:

Have you ever wanted to create a new layer that is a copy of another layer, but the only thing you want to change is possibly a suffix?

Well after accidently pressing a key this morning I had to do some investigating and found a major time saver.

1. Single, long click the layer name in the layer manager (i.e. go to change the name).
  3. Press comma.
  4. BOOM! New layer is created that is a copy of the existing layer but this time it includes the suffix AND the original layer is maintained.

Give it a try!

Reference:

http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/keyboard-shortcuts-for-creating-new-layers.html

Cheers,

@darrell.kennedy wrote:

3. Press comma.

Give it a try!

Reference:

Cheers,

Message 7 of 7
_Kris
in reply to: manuremanager1

It works that way when "layerdlgmode" is set to 1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report