Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fittings for pressure networks

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
rturnbullDEQZ7
723 Views, 1 Reply

Fittings for pressure networks

I have two pipes at a 90 degree angle. One is 8" and one is 10". Is there a fittings that will accommodate both sizes? If so, how do I add this to my parts list or where can I find it in Civil 3D?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ChrisRS
in reply to: rturnbullDEQZ7

I would be good if you provided more information.

If you are looking at "imperial" ductile iron pipe, reducing 90 degree bends/elbows are manufactured.  This can make sense where space is limited such as plant or yard work (above ground or in a vault). For push on or mechanical joint fittings, use a 90 degree bend and a reducer/enlarger. This may involve a short length of pipe between the fittings. If there is the possibility of extending the line in the future you can use a 10x10x8 or 8x8x10 tee and plug one end of the tee.

The 2018 catalogs do not include reducing flanged 90s, so you will need to make your own.

Disclaimer: I have tested pressure pipes and fitting creation, but do not really use either.   

You can create pressure fittings using AutoCAD 3D solids, the AUTODESKCONNECTIONPOINT command (ACP), and the PUBLISHPARTCONTENT command (PPC) to create .Content files that you import into a catalog using Content Catalog Editor, and then saving the  pressure network catalog database .SQLITE file. See: Ideate - Civil 3D 2013 Pressure Network Parts - Part 1Part 2 and Part 3. You can also search your computer for a doc called: PartPublishingWizardUsersGuide. You can search for AU Vegas session on this as well. 2013, 14 or 15. This method is cumbersome, but stable.

In 2017, the 3d solid based method, and Part Builder for gravity networks, were been replaced by the Infrastructure Parts Editor and Inventor based Infrastructure Modeler combination. (These work for both Infraworks and Civil 3D.) There were some AU Vegas 2018 presentations on this but the focus was more on gravity systems, than on pressure pipe.     

Side Issue 1: 

I suggest that before you invest time in creating content, you use a work around and make sure that you can achieve what you want with Civil 3D pressure pipes. You can make your turn with a 10x10x8 Tee and 10" Plug (or 8x8x10 Tee a 8" Plug), move forward and see if you can satisfactorily finish the model. If that works, go ahead and create your fittings. If not, cut your losses and fake it with a gravity network, or draw it by hand. You would not be the first to find this. I have followed pressure pipes in this forum since the 2013 release and find a number of experienced, recognizable, respected users, with high badge numbers, that have not been able to make pressure pipes work for themselves.  My take: Civil 3D Pressure Pipes a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. There apparently are successful users of Civil 3d Pressure pipes. Two of them responded to my post (Post 5) in Pressure Pipes in 2018 - Who use's them? Each of them spent days  creating their own content and still need to use a lot of work arounds.   

Side Issue 2:

You know your project better that I. Generally, I prefer the value of 12" pipe over 10" pipe. The capacity of 12" is much greater than 10", valve and fittings costs are comparable (I have not verified this for many years), and installation costs are similar (same trench cost). This is a tip I got from my father about 40 years ago.

Pipe Capacity (compared to 8")            

Diameter   6"      8"     10"     12"     16"

d**2       36      64     100     144     256

ratio      36/64   64/64  100/64  144/64  356/64

capacity   0.56    1.00   1.56    2.25    4.00

image.png

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report