Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature lines showing incorrect lengths

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
764 Views, 5 Replies

Feature lines showing incorrect lengths

I'm learning how to create feature lines to incorporate into grading, but I'm stuck.  I start by drawing a rectangle to represent my building footprint, no issue there.  I verify each side has the correct length.  When I use the "Create feature line from objects" tool, the feature line I end up with occupies the same location on the drawing but reports side lengths and areas nearly ten times what the rectangle had.  I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

Hard to say for sure, can you post a file?

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

Attached a practice file to the original post.  You'll see if you measure the property boundaries, they report as 100' by 200'.  If you open the feature line elevation editor though, the lengths are off by a factor of 12.  This leads me to believe it has something to do with inches/feet insertion, but I'm not used to working in imperial.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I figured it out.  I had changed the unit settings from decimal to engineering.  I'm used to metric for Civil design and feet/inches for building design.  The decimal feet for Civil 3D will take some getting used to.

Message 5 of 6
lynn_zhang

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear you figured out how to fix the problem and thanks so much for sharing the solution! This will benefit other users in the community with the same issue.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

what is the elevation different where the side length is 10 x ?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report