Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line slope labels

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Jeff_M
2869 Views, 16 Replies

Feature line slope labels

Slope direction arrow on Featureline arc....does anyone have one that works? As noted in this old response by @BrianHailey, the C3D Templates have an expression for the slope direction, but it is for Line labels. There is no such expression for arc labels. Every attempt I've made to create one results in the arrow either going the wrong direction for clockwise arcs, or the arrow gets skewed away from the arc, or just plain doesn't work at all.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
tcorey
in reply to: Jeff_M

Did you read the manual?

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 17
Jeff_M

Is that like reading the instructions to assemble a kid's bike? You know no one ever even looks at those. 🙂
EESignature
Message 4 of 17
MMcCall402

Give this one a try.  It labels the slope, direction and an elevation at each end.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 5 of 17
Jowennl
in reply to: MMcCall402

Hi Jeff_M,

Very interesting question you got here.

Hi MMcCall402,

Thanks for sharing the Feature Labels.dwg I tried to do curve arrow via text option (Just an experiment on my part)

This is how it looks like:

Using attached feature style above by  MMcCall402Using attached feature style above by MMcCall402

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 6 of 17
AllenJessup

This any help?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-forum/feature-line-grade-direction-arrow/td-p/232204...

Never mind. I missed ARC the first read through.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
MMcCall402
in reply to: Jowennl

I like the curved arrow!

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 8 of 17
Jeff_M

Thanks @MMcCall402 for the solution and @Jowennl for adding the arc arrow. After looking at the dwg, it appeared to be exactly what I was doing with one of my tests, yet yours worked and mine didn't. After much head banging and a second cup of coffee (I normally only have 1 cup a day) I realized that my labels were set to Orient to the view, not the object. Adjusting this immediately brought my labels into compliance.

Sometimes even those of us who've been using C3D for a decade, or more, can overlook the simplest things. Smiley Embarassed

EESignature
Message 9 of 17
tcorey

That's funny, Jeff. I guess even Yoda can lose touch with the Force sometimes....

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 10 of 17
MMcCall402
in reply to: tcorey

I've come to this forum more than once with a question only to find the answer in a my own post from 12 yrs ago.  Apparently I was more smarter back then.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 11 of 17
AllenJessup

Same here.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
CDavidsonH44GY

The code in the dwg file only works for me if the feature line is drawn in the correct orientation. In other words, I can make the arrow flip the wrong way if I reverse the feature line. In the screen shot attached, I need to split the feature line into 2 in order to get all arrows pointing the correct direction.

This could potentially create an issue if we are trying to build a corridor using the feature line as a baseline and our assembly is one sided. Is there a way to code the expression to test for the slope that accounts for both orientations of feature lines?

Orientation1.png

Orientation2.png

  

Message 13 of 17
CDavidsonH44GY

The code in the dwg file only for me if the feature line is drawn in the correct orientation. In other words, I can make the arrow flip the wrong way if I reverse the feature line. In the screen shot attached, I need to split the feature line into 2 in order to get all arrows pointing the correct direction.

This could potentially create an issue if we are trying to build a corridor using the feature line as a baseline and our assembly is one sided. Is there a way to code the expression to test for the slope that accounts for both orientations of feature lines?

Orientation1.png

Orientation2.png

  

Message 14 of 17
MMcCall402
in reply to: CDavidsonH44GY

Can you post a dwg file with this labelled feature line so we can poke around in it?

The arrow orientation shouldn't be effected by the direction of the line. The direction should only affect which side of the line the label appears.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 15 of 17
CDavidsonH44GY

MMcCall402,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Please see attached:

Message 16 of 17
MMcCall402
in reply to: CDavidsonH44GY

This took a bit to sort out but I think I have something workable.

First was to set the Behavior Orientation Reference of the label style to be by Object and then set the Arrow's anchor component to be <feature>.  Components take on the direction of the object they're anchored to and the component's rotation is based on that anchored object.  This allowed the expression to react to the direction of the feature line and provide the correct rotation value based on the direction and slope of the feature line.

Setting the orientation to be by object messed with the start and end elevation label rotations.  I added in some radial lines to anchor them to so they say on the correct side of the line of the line is reversed.

The one thing I could solve was the location of the arrow.  I couldn't find a way to provide the correct offset from the line when it was reversed.  So, its placed ON the line.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 17 of 17
CDavidsonH44GY

Thanks for the help! This is much more workable. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report