Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Points to a CSV File

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cmunger
27516 Views, 6 Replies

Export Points to a CSV File

I have created a surface by importing a csv file to start. The surface was large as the number of initial points was large - about 2M. Since I only needed a portion of the surface (source was from LIDAR initially in a quadrant) because we are interested in a stream flood plain along an river we are modeling, I cropped the initial large surface and created a second new surface in a new file.

This surface is much smaller and more manageable - the cropping seems to have worked just as needed. Now (for a number of reasons) we need to take this surface and export the points that make it up back into a CSV format file. I have not been able to do this unfortunately. Here is what I have tried:

1. Output-> Export Points -> Choose ENZ format, name a destination file.

No points were transferred from the source.

2. Toolbox -> Reports Manager -> Surface Points to CSV

error 'Failed to Execute Surface Points to CSV'

I have a feeling it is something to do with my point objects or surface style - but I am not sure.

Please advise if possible.

Thank you!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mikeevans6697
in reply to: cmunger

Does your new file have any points in it? or just the surface?

If you have point objects, Just go to OUTPUT>EXPORT POINTS. A standard CSV file would be PNEZD (comma delimited)

If it is just the surface definition, then there are no points to export. Here is a roundabout way to get a CSV file of points:

1. Right click on surface and edit surface style.
  2. under the diaply tab make points visible. Click OK
  3. Select the surface and from the ribbon under surface tools click extract objects.
  4. Select the points only and click ok

This will get you AutoCAD Points.Next:

1.  Under HOME>POINTS>CONVERT AUTOCAD POINTS
  2. Follow the prompts

You know have points that can be exported under OUTPUT>EXPORT POINTS>PNEZD (comma delimited)

Message 3 of 7
cmunger
in reply to: mikeevans6697

Thanks for the quick response Mike. I'm not really creating a new file yet - though I want to eventually. I have an existing file with a surface in it that was made from a csv file originally. I then cropped that surface and made a new surface in a new file - that is the file I have now.

I guess I do not have point objects because method 1 as you describe is exactly what I tried first with my results described above. Method 2 I did not try before. I am able to complete steps 1-4 and all of the points (the whole surface actually) appears selected. Then I go to Home->Create Ground Data->Points->Create Autodesk Points.

I then get prompted to manually enter 38370 point descriptions lol!

Maybe I should do a Create Point Group? How can I avoid having to enter all descriptions manually?

Thanks again for your help!

Message 4 of 7
cmunger
in reply to: mikeevans6697

I tried making a point group with the selected points. The group gets created but there are no points in the point group.

Message 5 of 7
doni49

@cmunger wrote:

Maybe I should do a Create Point Group? How can I avoid having to enter all descriptions manually?

I can definitely understand NOT wanting to enter descriptions manually for 38,000+ points.  LOL

Instead of Home>Points>Convert AutoCAD Points, do Home>Points>Point Creation Tools.

CreatePoints.png

That will give you a dialog that looks similar to the following (if it doesn't, click on the button that's on the far right -- it looks like two arrows pointing down).

CreatePointsDesc.png

You can make all the points have the same description or NO description.   If you want no description, set "Prompt For Description" to None.  If you want a description (the same one) set it to Automatic and two lines below this, enter the desired description.

While you're at it, make sure that Prompt for Elevations is set to automatic.

EDIT:  I forgot the last step.

CreatePointsConvert.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 7
cmunger
in reply to: doni49

Thanks! That got me what I needed. It allowed me create a bunch of new points in the drawing in a format that I can then export to a file. Appreciate the help.

Message 7 of 7
doni49

I'm pleased to hear that you got it resolved. Thanks for letting us know. Have a great day!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report