Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevations on feature lines

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
dcanete
9580 Views, 28 Replies

Elevations on feature lines

Hi All,

Is there a way to add elevation labels at any position on a feature line without having to create a surface?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
neilyj666
in reply to: dcanete

You can certainly label the vertices at the start and end of each segment but you'd need additional IP's/Level points any where else but not sure if you can label these easily

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 29
klugb
in reply to: neilyj666

What about using the automatic points by "On line/Curve"? It will place a point at each vertices on the feature line.

It's not dynamic, but it's fast and easy.

http://screencast.com/t/nB9JYvX8r

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 29
neilyj666

Yes - that will certainly do the job although the OP did ask about adding labels rather than creating extra points.

Generally the more cluttered the drawing with labels, points etc the more bloated it becomes and performance could suffer - less is more in this case.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 29
dcanete

I took another look at the line labels and found that you can show the z coord of the start and end of the line - half of what I needed. It's a shame that you can't show the z-coord of any other part of the line just as easily.

Thanks for the comments.

Message 6 of 29
klugb

Ok, how about this one.

Define a Note style label that uses "Point Elevation" with your text. It does NOT have to be actual points, it just needs to have Z info. When you select the point insertion it grabs the 3D elevation of the feature line.

http://screencast.com/t/JOGgSEVGj0

One bummer I did find is that if you try to move the label it will not update the elevation.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 7 of 29
Joe-Bouza

insert a pvi where you want a label.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 29
annw2

Where did you find the label start and end of feature line?

What about at each vertice?

This should be an automatic feature.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 9 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: annw2

In the style composer.

Can you imagine what the prospector would look like if everybody's OOTB want was built in? Then you'll be hearing... "I don't have any need for this or that - why did they build so much useless stuff into the program......Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 29
annw2
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I would have thought wanting to automatically label spot elevations for top and bottom of curb would be a common use.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 11 of 29
Jeff_M

Create a new Line label, add 2 text components. assign one the Start Z, the other the End Z.

6-2-2012 7-48-04 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 12 of 29
annw2
in reply to: Jeff_M

This only partially works.? I also want to label the DIFFERENCE between the two.? It will do rise over run, but won't let you label just the rise.? I don't know why they would exclude that option.? If it is in 2013, I would install it tomorrow.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 13 of 29
Joe-Bouza

I dont think they left it out - it is in the expression section. SegmentEndZ - SegmentStartZ

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 29
Joe-Bouza

5", 6", 3.5" block? Then the permutations to describe tc bc, upper case, lower case,... Did LDT have this feature?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 29
wfberry

Message 16 of 29
annw2

I was hoping not to have to draw a line, but could manage if I could have the line on a non plot layer and have the labels print.

How do you do expressions in a label?

I will try to look that up.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 17 of 29
BrianHailey

@annw2 wrote:

I was hoping not to have to draw a line, but could manage if I could have the line on a non plot layer and have the labels print.

How do you do expressions in a label?

I will try to look that up.

If you have access to the AU classes, http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5143

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 18 of 29
Jeff_M

Ann, your questions are really confusing me.

@annw2 wrote:

Where did you find the label start and end of feature line?

What about at each vertice?

I showed you how to get that, then you said:

@annw2 wrote:

This only partially works.? I also want to label the DIFFERENCE between the two.? It will do rise over run, but won't let you label just the rise.? I don't know why they would exclude that option.? I

But you had never said anything about the difference until here. Not sure what you are wanting to see, perhaps a picture or a drawing labeled with plain text demonstrating what you are after. But then you go on with:

@annw2 wrote:

Draw a line? From where, to what? You already have a featureline you are labeling, no? At any rate, 2013 DOES allow you to label between 2 points without drawing a line...but I still don't know what you are really trying to accomplish.

EESignature
Message 19 of 29
annw2

I think I am getting there.

I want a label preferably as one 'MText' entity

TC = Z1

BC = Z2

REVEAL = Z1-Z2

I can draw a feature line from bottom of curb to top of curb,

Then create a label type under Settings - General - Line labels

But not under feature line label ? -  didn't see this option there or I am missing it.  All I noted was options for various slope and length.  I would prefer to label a feature line than a generic line.  As you said, the feature lines automatically update, but the lines do not.

One of the other posts said that you can do arithmatic expresion in labels ?

Now I think I just need to figure out how to do expressions in labels.

I will try a search for that next.  I am at home and don't have access to software right now.

If 2013 will let you label between two points or two points on feature line, I will try installing this weekend and try it out.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 20 of 29
Jeff_M

@annw2 wrote:

Then create a label type under Settings - General - Line labels

But not under feature line label ? -  didn't see this option there or I am missing it.  

You label Featurelines with regular line labels, there is no separate FL label style. In this image is a Featureline. I've labeled all the segments with the start & end elevations using the Multiple Segment option. I then labeled just one segment using a style I created that shows the data you wanted to see. This style uses one expression to get the Reveal value. Is this what you were thinking?

6-6-2012 2-17-53 PM.png

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report