Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual curved monitors

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
autoMick
8257 Views, 13 Replies

Dual curved monitors

Hi,

I've currently got a dual 27" flat screen setup, both 1920x1080 resolution. I'd hate to admit it, but the width is a bit much to be comfortable to use properly. I find I actually end up moving my chair to shift focus between monitors. The monitors are set up to face inwards slightly (about 25 degree offset).

I'm considering replacing these with 2 curved monitors (either 27" or maybe even back down to 24").

Just wondering if any of you good folks are using curved dual screen setups and what you think of them? Particularly interested in anyone that has done the transition I'm thinking of.

thanks

Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cselingo
in reply to: autoMick

I use dual Dell U3415W monitors. They are curved and i have them set at an angle so the focal length is about equal. That being said these monitors are massive and only one a time gets my focus at a time. One of these is more then enough for a autoCAD workspace, i use the second for any other programs i need to run. I would look into a single one of these ultra-wide monitors as opposed to a dual monitor setup. Dell, LG, & Samsung all make ultra-wides now, it's much like having two monitors with no bezel inbetween.

https://www.dell.com U3415W

https://www.dell.com U3818W (Even bigger)

Message 3 of 14
autoMick
in reply to: cselingo

I used to be on the view that you can have too big or too many monitors, but I'm starting to feel the sweet spot is either 2x 24" flat (which I have separately at my other work place), or either a single superwide (say 35") curved screen.

I currently have my Civild drawing space on one screen and then I keep properties, layers, xref mgr mapworkspace active on the other one.

Message 4 of 14
autoMick

Just a quick post to close this one out...

I've been asking around on some other forums as well... 

I've come to the opinion that:

a) you can go too wide with dual monitors and to my 2x24" flat screens (about 40" wide horizontally in total) is a good comfortable width for cad. I also have a 2x27" setup at home, which is a tad too big.

b) I've yet to try out a curved monitor(s) but consensus is that they don't pose any issue for cad. You see the odd post from the uninformed saying it is hard to draw a straight line on a curved monitor!!!

c) since the curved monitors come in such wide formats, there is not real reason to go for a dual set up. Better to just have a single monitor. I'd probably go for a 35 incher which still come reasonably cheap but as far as I can tell seem big enough (as I said I'm yet to try one).

d) I learnt some new tricks with window sizing - drag a window to the edge to get a half screen, to the corner to get a quarter screen size. I mention this because with dual monitors it is nice to instantly resize a window to the full monitor extent. You can sort of achieve the same thing with a wide single monitor using those tricks.

I'll report back with a review if I decide to do anything

Mick

Message 5 of 14
Pointdump

Mick,
"...drag a window to the edge to get a half screen, to the corner to get a quarter screen size."
Wait, what? Grab what and drag it where? This sounds like a very useful tip. More details please.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: Pointdump

In Windows 10, if you drag a window to the top of the monitor, it will fill the monitor. If you drag it to the side, you will see the outline of the window re-size to half the screen. When you drop it, you will then be shown small previews of other open windows. Pick one and it will fill the other half of the screen. Drag to a corner and the dragged window will fill that quadrant.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 14
n_bartholomew
Message 8 of 14
Pointdump
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Tim and Nathan,
Cool! And good link Nathan. Dragging to top or side works great, but the "drag to a corner" thing eludes me. I can't get it to work. It either resizes full or half. I can't find the corner "sweet spot".
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 14
mpitts4N47N

Hi Dave,

It works for me by grabbing the title bar of the application and moving the mouse pointer to the corner of the screen.

(Note that your not dragging the corner of the title bar, but where ever the mouse point is.)

Hope this helps.

Marty

Message 10 of 14
autoMick

G'day Dave 🙂

The other guys have answered it, the only thing I'd add is watch what happens at the cursor, whilst still dragging the window, when it hits the corner - you see what I would describe as a 'bubble flash'. Just release the mouse immediately after you get that indication.

Cheers

Mick

Message 11 of 14
Pointdump

G'day Mick,
OK, I see it now, the "bubble flash" and the Window resizes to 1/4. Before, I was probably not releasing the mouse quick enough.
Thank you. I learn something cool every day on this Forum.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 12 of 14
ChrisRS

This is kind of off topic, but I am currently using a 49" 4K TV as my monitor. This is equivalent to a 2 x 2 of 24" FDH monitors.

The actual diagonal is 48.5 inches, resulting in 91 dpi. With the monitor a arms distance I find this easy to read with no DPI scaling. The screen is 23.78" high  x 42.27" wide, allowing a full size preview of Arch D size drawings.

I use Display fusion to partition it into virtual monitors My "main" virtual monitor is a 2560 x 1440, 32" diagonal, portion of the screen. This about as large as I can comfortably work with. Other applications or floating AutoCAD Windows/Pallets can occupy the unused space. I mostly work standing so my "main" monitor is at the top. I admit that the monitors on teh lower part of the screen are hard to read; temporarily, I either sit down, or drag lower monitor up to a better position.

I think I paid about $325 for a LG 49U6300 television.

image.png

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
autoMick
in reply to: ChrisRS

I've often wondered about a TV option - particularly whether the lower res (and refresh rate?) would lead to eye strain. I think standing and inherently being able to move focus etc. easier would definitely help in this situation. I'm a traditional sit and slouch kind of guy. Good tip re display fusion.

Cheers

Mick

Message 14 of 14
ChrisRS

Thanks, Mick. (My additions are in RED.)

@autoMick wrote:

I've often wondered about a TV option - particularly whether the lower res Same or better resolution: 91 dpi vs 27" @ 1920x 1080 = 82 dpi,.24" @ 1920x 1080 = 92 dpi  (and refresh rate? My video card only does 30hz.) would lead to eye strain. The combination does not bother me. I think standing and inherently being able to move focus etc. easier would definitely help in this situation. I'm a traditional sit and slouch kind of guy. You would need to arrange the virtual monitors differenty. Good tip re display fusion.

Cheers

Mick

If anyone considers this, I suggest copying the image from my first fist to a USB drive, take it to an electronics store and trying it out on the TV you are considering,. before purchasing.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report