Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how output an automated deflection angle in a structure label?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1173 Views, 4 Replies

Does anyone know how output an automated deflection angle in a structure label?

Hello,

I have been using Civil3D for about 6 months and have been cruising through the learning process. Usually I am fairly solid at figuring things out, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to produce or create a formula to automate angle of deflection of pipes/alignments that are coming into a structure (a manhole in particular) on a STRUCTURE LABEL. Everything that I see online is unresolved or scarce. I know there is a way, you literally can do anything with this software. Does anyone know how to do this or have a workaround, such as an implemented .lsp or at least some means of producing a deflection angle through a structure label? Also, I do realized that I can easily produce a deflection angle through an alignment label.

Sincerely,

Billy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MMcCall402
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't think it can be done without involving an alignment.  Structure expressions don't seem to have properties for the connected pipes such that an equation for determining the deflection angle from the incoming pipe to the outgoing pipe.   

A reference text component for an alignment that runs through the pipe network could be added to the structure label with an alignment expression for the alignment's deflection angle.  (untested, not sure if this will actually function)

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 5
cwr-pae
in reply to: Anonymous

An issue with getting deflection angles in structure labels: How would the program determine which deflection angle is wanted if you have more than 2 pipes connected? The only work arounds I know of are:

1.  Create a blank line in the structure label to edit and add the angle manually. An alignment label can give the data needed.

2.  Use the same blank, but drag a PI label for the alignment into the blank space. Here at least the data would be dynamic.

3.  Use a property set component that I think you would still have to type the angle manually, but at least have it read into the label automatically.

Additional possibilities that my work.

4.  A formula in a property set may can read the delta from a structure, but see my first statement about multiple pipes.

5.  Might be possible to write a lsp to create variables for each structures deflection (the lsp would have to be run to update all changes in the network) read by a property set component though diesel expressions and made available to structure labels.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MMcCall402

You mentioning this reminds me of a thought I had earlier, by the way thank you for your response! It Means the world. I wonder if there is a way to import structure label properties? Or perhaps it is possible to edit script within autoCAD, but whether it is accessible by a standard user versus working for the company as a coder. I have edited script in a software such as Carlson Civil Suite, Never with Civil3d though. Curious to dig into this issue as deep as I can, for if i were to figure out how to adjust script (code) within AutoCAD properly with this, I could use it for other issues I discover.

Sincerely,

Billy

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: cwr-pae

Thank you so much for your response. I am going to research and test out all of the methods that I am unfamiliar with, especially the last one. I want to dig into this, I have been wanting to have a deeper understanding of .lsp files beyond just using them. I am unfamiliar with property set components & diesel expressions. Be expecting a response in the near future from me pertaining to this post. I am sure i will have comments pertaining to the question resolution & regarding the newly learned methods you have mentioned here. Thank you! See my response to MMcCall402, would love to hear your input on my response to his suggestion! Thank both of you!

Sincerely,

Billy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report