Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a retaining wall profile

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9
787 Views, 11 Replies

Creating a retaining wall profile

hi all,

I am new to the design process in civil 3d so please bare with me.

So basically  i want to be able to select the top of my retaining wall or the bottom (based on whether its a cut or fill site.. and create a profile from this based on the surface I choose. When making the profile I want to choose the top of my wall as the line to plot, however I want it to use the bottom of wall (kerb line) as where it pulls it's data from. If you see my drawing attached you should hopefully understand what I mean. The dot in purple represents top of wall, I want to create a profile of this, the point in pink is where I want the elevations etc to be read from basically plot this line using this line as your source of data.  

I then want to be able to select where the footing will be and then the top surface, and add it to the profile so that it will create the footing and the wall steps where the corridor intersects with the design and create the steps appropriately based on what we want for example 0.2m.

attached are 2 examples of what I am after roughly below. Basically, I'd like the profile to show the top of wall, bottom, maybe the wall height and existing surface. Is this possible to automate this process so that it will draw in the steps based on my input? and create the profile accordingly?

Basically I want the entire profile to plot as what is shown in the sketch with the information shown in the 2 examples.

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cwr-pae
in reply to: faisalWJ8Y9

Something like these?

cwrpae_0-1707757214185.pngcwrpae_1-1707757236167.png

Message 3 of 12
cwr-pae
in reply to: cwr-pae

The walls were created with these sections.

cwrpae_0-1707757462567.png

Message 4 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9

yes tha's right! the bottom file looks very close to what I am after! 🙂

Message 5 of 12
cwr-pae

I created my wall sections and used a "ConditionalCutOrFill" subassembly to choose the correct section. I used a "LinkVertical" to target an offset profile to get the value for the height of the wall ('thickness' of a the "Generic PavementStructure" I used for the wall and footings). There was a bit of using input values to get the right elevations, etc. I think I used one of the trench with pipes assemblies for the drain behind the wall. Each wall height section required targeting in the corridor, multiple times.

cwrpae_0-1707773612503.png

cwrpae_1-1707773643082.png

cwrpae_2-1707774321674.png

Message 6 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9

This looks rather confusing for me lol mainly because I have no experiece with sub assemblies.

Is there a way to just be able to select the top of wall alignment, make a surface profile from it, but it uses the bottom of wall (kerb line) to source its data? If I can just manage to get both lines + existing plotted on the same profile, that might be enough for now?

Message 7 of 12
cwr-pae

Do you have a surface for the bottom of the wall? If not, you can make one with two feature lines at the same elevations and then cut a profile on that surface. You can also superimpose a profile from one profile view to another. You can project a feature line to a profile view. There may be other ways, depending on what data you have and what form that data takes.

Message 8 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9

So at the moment if you see my screenshot in the first one you can see that it's plotting the top of wall line using the Des surface and the existing line using the existing surface.

I then have another section for the bottom of wall as seen in screenshot, which I have superimposed onto my top of wall profile (bottom shown in pink line, top in red) however, the bottom of wall levels are being shown as the same as the top of wall, instead of what is shown in the bottom of retaining wall section. So I want to tell the section to use the levels from the bottom of wall profile. Then for the top of wall rather than creating the levels from the alignment chosen I want it to create the levels based on the kerb line.

Does this make sense?

Th

Message 9 of 12
cwr-pae

Your issue is with the what the bands are reporting?

Message 10 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9

Yes I think so. the bottom of retaining wall band is reporting the same as the top of wall band, and I want the top of wall band to report data based on the line used (kerb line) to create the bottom of wall.

Message 11 of 12
cwr-pae

Check the band style, it appears from your images (hard to read) that the bottom of the wall is reading the 2nd profile. Either change the style to read the 1st profile or change the 2nd profile for that band to be the bottom of curb. With out the actual drawing I can offer anything more on styles.

Message 12 of 12
faisalWJ8Y9

Yeah I thinl I understand what you mean. I'm just wondering if I need to create a surface for the bottom of wall (kerb line) and the top of wall. Because at the moment the profiles are being taken from the same design surface. 

What I can do is create the profile again and let you see the drawing this will perhaps help you understand my problem better. If you are okay with this?

thanks,

Fd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report