Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple gradings from multiple feature lines using the same grading criteria

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
michael.anees
842 Views, 7 Replies

Create multiple gradings from multiple feature lines using the same grading criteria

Hi,

I have projects where hundreds of little areas would need to be graded for small stuctures to be built on them. They should all target the same surface and have the same grading slope. Is there a way to do this using the GUI or programatically?

I could also create a new FG surface out of these little areas then apply a large hide boundary then smaller show boundaries to show them as discrete areas within the new surface. The idea is to grade from the FG surface to the EG surface, which would also solve the problem.

Thank you, all for helping.

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ChrisRS
in reply to: michael.anees

I gave it a try.

I am not sure that this is what you are looking for.

1. At this point you are seeing a bunch of grading groups. 
    ChrisRS_0-1650254369731.png

2. Only the group at the bottom corner has an attached surfaceChrisRS_1-1650254558176.png
  3. After a little processing, all of the pads have an attached surface. This is one surface, not many.ChrisRS_4-1650256821818.png

4. This is how it is done. (Think Rube Goldberg)
    1. Start with an existing ground surface (EG)
    2. Create Grading Group "Pads" with automatic surface "Pads"
    3. Create Grading Group "Temp" with automatic surface "Temp" (Just Because)
    4. Create a prototype Pad.
      1. One feature line.
      2. A grade to surface object targeting EG. 
      3. A grading infill
      4. A circle, (Just because.)
        ChrisRS_9-1650259004928.png

5. Make an easy to copy Group named Pad_1
      1. Group Name  Pad_1
      2. Select the feature line, both gradings and the circle. Do not select the Surface.
        (We include the circle because Groups seem to need a non-C3D object to work properly.)  
      3. Enter.
    6. When selected, the Group looks like this:
      Both gradings and the circle are highlighted.
      The feature line is highlighted, but obscured by the gradings.
      There is a bounding box.
      ChrisRS_8-1650258984846.png

7. Make sure that pickstyle = 1. (Ctrl+H is the toggle.)
    8. Layout some kind of XYZ targets for the new pads.
      I used a snaking feature like with elevation points.
    9. Select the circle, to select the group.
      Copy the group to the desired XYZ locations. (Use snapping)
      (Warning: Ctrl+C/CTRL+V and Clipboard copy with basepoint do not work.
      They make extraneous copies of EG)
    10. You will get something like the following.
      Notice that only the original Pad (lower left) has a surface.
      Two copies (white cloud) failed, because, you know, C3D.
      You can select and rotate a feature line as shown in the magenta cloud.
      Yuu could also change the feature line geometry.
      You could select a feature line (and circle) then use move to adjust the elevation.  
      ChrisRS_10-1650263494478.png
    11. The next step is completing the pad surface.
      Each pasted pad group generated its own new pad and a pseudo grading group containing the 2 gradings that were pasted at the XYZ location. All of these gradings need to be changed to the Pad grading group tin order to be represented n the Pad surface.
    12. When one of these gradings is selected the ribbon swill how the Change Group button.
      We defiantly do not want to select and change each grading individually.
      ChrisRS_2-1650254780218.png

13. Select one of the grade to surface markers and one of the grading infill markers.
    14. Right click and click  Select similar to select all of the gradings.
      ChrisRS_3-1650255022540.png

15. Manually type in AECCCHANGEGRADINGGROUP and select the Pad grading group.
      (Even though there area lot of pseudo grading groups we needed to create the Temp group to avoid an error that prevents changes.  Because C3D.)
      ChrisRS_5-1650257898376.png
    16. This should apply the surface to each pad. No need for multiple surfaces or boundaries.
      (I think that his is pretty cool.)  
      ChrisRS_7-1650258905278.png

17. The only cleanup is to individually select each of the pseudo grading groups and manually right click delete. This is tedious but has to be done individually ... because C3D.

Notes and other thoughts.

1. This is defiantly Rube Goldberg like but is not tedious or repetitive. It should go pretty quickly.
  2. I very strongly recommend that all of this Pad folderol be done in a separate drawing.
    Xref in EG and whatever base map information you need for visualizing location.
  3. This concept can easily be extended by creating additional pad protypes and groups.
    This would accommodate different pad sizes or side slopes.
  4. This is an unusual approach. We may have surfaced C3D shortcomings.
    1. Groups of C3D only object do not seem to 'pickable' as a group. (I may be wrong.)
    2.  Copying grading objects creates pseudo grading groups. I see no reason for this and AECCCHANGEGRADINGGROUPS  does not recognize them as grading groups.
  5. This is really important.
    I have suggested a pretty brute force approach for this situation.
    Just because I do not see a programmatic solution it does not mean that one is not available.
    I am open to it and willing to learn. This may be something that Dynamo would be good at.

I hope that this is useful to you and others.

EDIT: Lots of Pads.dwg attached.

Good Luck!

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Hi Chris,

First, let me start by saying thank you so much for the effort you put in to try this out. It is really helpful. I think it should work. I will give it a try soon (this week) and get back to you. I must tell you I really appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05

• This process can be done with just one grading group. No need to make a group for each pad. The resulting surface will be blank between the pads. That is one of the main benefits to using gradings vs. just breaklines or corridors.

You can also reduce the amount of inputs when creating the gradings by creating a locked criteria. In this case your criteria would be a Slope to surface with the slope parameters locked. With the Slope parameters locked, you won't get prompted to specify them when you apply the grading. Set the target surface and grading group, then start picking the pads and apply the grading. The only inputs will be choosing which side and whether to apply the entire length.

You will need to add infills to the pads also.

PS. This approach requires you to have the pad outlines with elevations pre-defined. I think Chris was showing how to create a single pad with grading and copying it to create more pads. That can work too if all the pads are uniform.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
ChrisRS
in reply to: Neilw_05

aaa

@Neilw_05 wrote:
  • This process can be done with just one grading group. No need to make a group for each pad. The resulting surface will be blank between the pads. That is one of the main benefits to using gradings vs. just breaklines or corridors.

It took me years to notice this and start using grading groups. I was not very clear as to why I was getting everything into one grading group.

You can also reduce the amount of inputs when creating the gradings by creating a locked criteria.   ...

Good Idea. I have not made use of this, but will give it a try.

...   Chris was showing how to create a single pad with grading and copying it to create more pads. That can work too if all the pads are uniform.

That is correct. It was the most automated process, for uniform pads, that I could think of. As I noted you could create additional prototypes if there are a few variations.  

Christopher Stevens
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
ChrisRS

Michael,

You are welcome.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Chris

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Hi Chris and Neil,

Thank you both. Thanks to you, I have two solutions for two scenarios:

1- Uniform featulreline-vertical geometry (feature line elevations are constant accross the site)--> Chris' solutiom

2- Nonuniform featureline-vertical geomtry (feature line elevations differ by location)-->Neil's solution. 

I wish Civil3D exposed the grading creation commands in the .Net API. This would make life much easier.

Message 8 of 8
Neilw_05

I'm not a programmer but I was thinking you could use some sort of script that loads all the featurelines in a queue and steps through them, applying the gradings. The one problem I see is how to determine which side to apply the grading. If you are savvy with scripts you might figure something out. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report