Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash with no error dialog after C3D 2021.3 Update

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Chuck_L_AKS
533 Views, 10 Replies

Crash with no error dialog after C3D 2021.3 Update

We have our office updating to the 2021.3 Update to leverage the new sysvar DATASHORTCUTSSOURCECHECK. This claims to address drawings becoming read-only after saving when multiple people are accessing drawings with data references. However, we have had a few notice Civil 3D close without notice or a dialog. It just goes away. 

Anyone have this update applied and having this happen? 

Thank you

Chuck Litchfield
AKS Engineering and Forestry, LLC
C3D 2024
Tags (3)
Labels (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ppetrowsky
in reply to: Chuck_L_AKS

Yes, happening to us also. Rolling back to update 2 until we get an answer to this problem.
Message 3 of 11
ppetrowsky

Additionally, we are seeing extremely slow drawing loads and command latency on some machines after they experienced multiple crashes.  Removing the update 3 did not fix the issue.  Had to cycle some users back to 2019 just to keep them working while we investigate this secondary issue.  Very frustrating week for us.

Message 4 of 11
Kyle-L
in reply to: ppetrowsky

Just want to add my voice here. I experienced the same thing after updating. Silent crashes when opening or saving drawings, as well as horrible slow down making it almost impossible to work. I had to switch to a different version of Civil 3D.

Message 5 of 11
ppetrowsky

Chuck and Kyle,

We are using virtual machines and some local machines but are only seeing the issue on our VMs so far.  Are you seeing the issue on local hardware or cloud based machines?  Just trying to figure this out.

We are currently in contact with Autodesk and are working to provide them a couple of our VMs.  One loaded with update 3 with the hopes they can crash it and another that has already had multiple crashes and is exhibiting the slowness and command latency.  Won't able to do this immediately but am working to have this to them mid Sept.

Message 6 of 11
Chuck_L_AKS

We only have local machines on a network. And it is only some that have this issue. I think it could be some of the characteristics in some of the their drawings. Others have noted an improved experience. Which makes me lean to something drawing specific.

The exposure to so many API opens a lot of potential - both good and bad. With the new SYSVAR addressing the specific issue of files becoming read-only immediately after saving. This had become such an issue we welcomed the potential fix. But, now we just have more questions.
Chuck Litchfield
C3D 2024
Message 7 of 11
Kyle-L

I am using a local machine.

Good luck getting it sorted. As much as I hate to do it this soon but I moved on to using 2022 and so far everything is working perfectly.

Message 8 of 11
ppetrowsky

Thanks for the info Chuck. Agreed. The read only issue was a real pain and we were so looking forward to the fix ...and also the new API additions for our customization. Now we have two big problems. We have had real difficulty getting our machines back in working order. Finally, started sending the VMs back to IT to totally rebuild. I will update this thread as I have more info to share.
Message 9 of 11
ppetrowsky
in reply to: Kyle-L

Interesting. I have considered the option of moving on to 2022 (if we can verify the problem is not there also) but we are so busy that any further disruption to staff and my team may get keelhauled. Moving some back to 2019 on spare VMs while we rebuild there systems. Managed to fix some but no specific steps to a fix that can be documented...just worked on it until succumbed to my wishes. Usually a 1+ day to get one system working.
Message 10 of 11
chris_brenton

Has anyone noticed that 21.3 is smaller than 21.2 update. But yet it says it includes 21.1 and 21.2. Did you guys have any of these updates installed before installing 21.3? I was wonder if that would make a difference.

Message 11 of 11
Chuck_L_AKS
in reply to: chris_brenton

We had some of our 100+ users with the 2021.1.1 Update and others with the 2021.2.1 Update prior to installing the 2021.3 Update. Not sure how they do it.
The instability is a bit of a problem. However, it seems to be limited to a small percentage of our users.
Chuck Litchfield
C3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report