Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert material-fill hatched area to 3D-solid

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
r_griffith
345 Views, 5 Replies

Convert material-fill hatched area to 3D-solid

With the material editor, you can create compled "hatches" (matrial fill) based on multiple surfaces and rules above/below each surface. Based on your corridorfrequency you can create a volumecalculation of these "hatches".

But when using BIM, i can't figure out if it's possible to create a 3D-solid from that complex. Only solution i can figure out is to create multiple solids between diffrent surfaces and use the "subtract" command to get rid of the junk and only keep the hatched area as an remaining 3D-solid. 
Am i missing a better solution for this problem? 

I've added a theoretical paint picture to illustrate the case. I want the darkblue hatch to become a 3D-solid.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
buinhuthuong
in reply to: r_griffith

Hi @r_griffith ,

Is your goal?

Autodesk.jpg

Are you talking about working with surfaces or working with calculation volume material in civil corridors?

Message 3 of 6
r_griffith
in reply to: buinhuthuong

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. The main goal is to show some areas of contaminated soil in 3D in the navisworks BIM model to clash with subsurface utilities like sewers or cables and trenches .

Message 4 of 6
buinhuthuong

You have a useful solution by creating multi 3D solids and then subtracting and slicing them.

That is the workflow that I usually do for my design.

In my opinion, we can't do anything with the material section except change its display.

Do all of you guys have a better solution here?

Message 5 of 6
r_griffith
in reply to: buinhuthuong

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.. I assumed it wasn't possible but wanted to check here.

@buinhuthuong  by the way, how do you embedd a picture direct with your message? Mine always ends up as an attachment you'd have to click on. Your way is much better.

Message 6 of 6
buinhuthuong

You can add your picture by clicking here.

See the pictures below.

Autodesk.jpg

Then choose the picture that you want to show.

Choose your options.

Autodesk2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report