Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Slope to Existing Ditch

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lee_whelanFJZ2A
311 Views, 4 Replies

Connecting Slope to Existing Ditch

Hi all,

I've created a corridor of a berm/embankment, designed with slopes of 1:3 and 1:5 that extend down to the existing ground.

On the side where the 1:3 slope is located, there's an existing surface water drainage ditch. I'm looking to seamlessly integrate the berm's 1:3 slope with the existing ditch's top bank.

I have made the corridor by creating an alignment that was offset from the top of bank but the slopes are still quite a distance from the bank.

Ive also tried creating a feature line the top of bank and grading up from that but this seems very slow if i have to make changes etc.

Any ideas on the best approach to this would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Just found that i can create an a corridor from a featureline, this will probably solve my problem.

Message 3 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: lee_whelanFJZ2A

Using the top of bank Featureline should get you close. However you will probably find the corridor is very choppy with overlaps, kinks, etc. If you can tolerate the 3:1 slope varying slightly, I suggest you create an alignment that best fits the top of bank and add fillets to smooth it. Then create a design profile that closely follows the top of bank profile and build your corridor from the alignment and design profile. I know it is a lot more work but I think you find the results much better.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: lee_whelanFJZ2A

PS, If you want to match the top of bank exactly, design your template in such a way that it uses the top of bank featureline as a target for the 3:1 slope link. Hopefully you can figure out a way to do that.

You might consider using 2 corridors, one to establish the top of berm relative to the top of bank using the alignment and profile described previously, then another that uses that top of berm and targets the top of bank featureline.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 5
lee_whelanFJZ2A
in reply to: Neilw_05

Appreciate the reply ill put this to use, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report