Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculate volumes at intervals

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
everett.buckmaster
664 Views, 8 Replies

calculate volumes at intervals

For the life of me, I cant figure this out. I have 2 surfaces, subgrade and Topsoil replacement. I need to calculate the area of topsoil that was replaced at 150mm lifts. we get paid for the first 150mm of topsoil replaced for the stripped subgrade area, and then we get paid a different amount for each additional 150mm lift that was placed.

The idea sounds simple, but I cant seem to get where I need to be. is it as simple as a cut and fill banding solution? The stage storage routine isn't giving me what I want. I don't want to know the amounts of cut in fill between the surfaces, just the area of topsoil replaced at each additional lift....!!

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: everett.buckmaster

I think your on the right track with the cut and fill banding solution.

I haven't looked at the datasets , is it safe to assume that you have placed at least 150mm across the whole job and therefore you would only need a customised cut/fill banding solution to show depths of 150mm and above?

Message 3 of 9

Try doing a comparison of the two surfaces with the volume dashboard. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
everett.buckmaster
in reply to: Anonymous

Correct. there is at least 150mm across the data set. The problem is, there is can be no "cut" to the data set, only fill. some places have at least 150mm, and other up to 1.5m of fill. I need to know the areas of each 150mm left over the entire workspace. the cut and fill banding just color codes the minimum elevation to the maximum elevation at 150mm intervals. I don't want that. I want the area of fill throughout the workspace.

Message 5 of 9

Tried that. I only get a total volume of the project, and I need separated lifts over the entire area.

Message 6 of 9
jroot

Just to be clear... in the end are you looking for an AREA or a VOLUME?

Message 7 of 9
everett.buckmaster
in reply to: jroot

Im looking for the area of each lift.

Message 8 of 9
jroot

In general it would look like this: (assuming you have a surface of each lift)

-Create a Volume Surface between the lift surface (comparison) and the sub grade (base surface)

-Edit the Volume Surface Properties, Analysis Tab, and add 2 ranges of Elevations.  For Maximum Elev of ID 1 put zero, for Minimum Elevation of ID 2 put zero.  ID 1 will be your cut are, ID 2 is the fill area.  Pick differing colors for each.

-Edit the Volume Surface Properties, Analysis Tab, and create a User-defined Contour at elevation zero. This will calculate the cut/fill lines.

-In the Surface Style turn on the Elevations and the User-Defined Contours.  It should now show the cuts and fills between the 2 surfaces in the colors you chose and have lines around their boundaries.

-Select the volume surface and extract the borders and user-def-contours as polylines (probably 3dpolys, you'll need to flatten them) Then you can pick the polylines that were around the fill areas only and get their area.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

@everett.buckmaster wrote:

Correct. there is at least 150mm across the data set. The problem is, there is can be no "cut" to the data set, only fill. some places have at least 150mm, and other up to 1.5m of fill. I need to know the areas of each 150mm left over the entire workspace. the cut and fill banding just color codes the minimum elevation to the maximum elevation at 150mm intervals. I don't want that. I want the area of fill throughout the workspace.

Yes, but the legend table that goes with the cut/fill banding analysis can also show areas....see attached.( worth checking the table results to make sure you are getting the right values)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report