Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to import google earth imagery into civil 3d 2018

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
aahmed19901
23693 Views, 15 Replies

Best way to import google earth imagery into civil 3d 2018

while I was searching for the Best way to import google earth imagery or surface into civil 3d 2018

I ran into this article,
https://www.lifewire.com/google-earth-and-civil-3d-485310

so I installed the google earth pro software and expected to find a tap in civil 3d 2018 to do so,but unfortunately I didn't

so does anybody knows about this ?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Not sure why that article is dated 2018. If you look at the "A", you can see that it's an older version of C3D. That function was discontinued in 2011.

You can use the built in Bing imagery, and get the surface from InfraWorks.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 16
Jeew-m
in reply to: aahmed19901

Dear Friend,

Google Earth to Civil 3D friendship ends way back in 2013 version. Even though your article is updated on July 2018 it discuss the Civil 3D version of 2012. 

As TRodgers has pointed out you need bing imagery for images and infraworks for surfaces. 

However there are several other options to try out.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/google-earth-to-c3d-2018/td-p/7365260

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/screencast/Main/Details/0e409ab8-...

Thanks

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 16
ChicagoLooper

To import Google Earth imagery to C3D you can purchase 3rd party software such as the ones found in the App Store.

App Store.App Store.

Go to Featured Apps tab in the ribbon then click 'Connect to App Store.' Type imagery in search box. Whatever app you plan on using, make sure it can bring in Google maps, such as Google Earth Pro. Some apps do and some don't use Google imagery. When you combine Google Earth Pro with 3rd party software, aerial imagery is easily downloaded and will be accurately georeferenced in your drawing..

Warning: Don't confuse Google Earth Pro with Google Maps which you use through your browser, GE Pro is a separate program and is a free download (use your favorite search engine to find the download link).

Alternatively, you may use Google Earth Pro without 3rd party software but doing so will require you to manually georeference them. While in GE Pro, you'll just need to zoom to the area then do a  SAVE AS in jpeg format. Then insert the saved jpeg to C3D. This involves scaling, positioning and sometimes even rotating the image. When you use an add-on app however, the app will do all that for you.

If you do NOT need the image to be georef'd, you can also place it anywhere in modelspace then scale and rotate. If you do want to GeoRef the image, read >>THIS<< to find out how.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 16
bacosx
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

For the last 5 years we are using Plex.Earth to import Google Earth imagery into Civil 3D. By far the most comprehensive solution you can find in the store today.

See here: plexearth.com

- Giorgio

Message 6 of 16
pghcivil3d2
in reply to: bacosx

I second the use of PlexEarth, its been great since Civil 3D no longer supports the direct connection to GE.  We've also saved the image from GE, and used the BING imagery to align the GE image (without PlexEarth).  Many times the GE imagery is more up to

Rob S.

@bacosx wrote:

For the last 5 years we are using Plex.Earth to import Google Earth imagery into Civil 3D. By far the most comprehensive solution you can find in the store today.

See here: plexearth.com

- Giorgio

date than Bing.

Rob Sinclair

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: pghcivil3d2

Yes. I've used Plex v4.1 and currently use v4.2. You can even access Open Street Maps using the Map Explorer. 

Use Map Explorer to access OSM.Use Map Explorer to access OSM.

Besides bringing in georeferenced images from GE Pro, you can also bring in other web-based geo ref'd maps such as Open Street Maps and others. See left panel on image above. 

1-USGS Transportation and 2-USGS Hydrography.1-USGS Transportation and 2-USGS Hydrography.

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 16
bacosx

Yes, indeed, we also use Map Explorer in Plex.Earth 4 to connect to WMS and other mapping services.

Message 9 of 16
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: bacosx

Yes, you can even use an FDO connection to access WMS (see image below). But given a choice between the Plex interface and an FDO connection, I'd choose Plex because I find it more user friendly. The reason someone might use an FDO connection though, would be the cost: FDO is free whereas Plex must be purchased. It's like cable TV vs. regular TV, one has a monthly bill and the other is free.

Contours from WMS using an FDO connection.Contours from WMS using an FDO connection.

Chicagolooper
Message 10 of 16
bacosx

Totally agreed! FDO is a way, but Plex.Earth is much more user friendly and you do many more things very quickly.

Message 11 of 16

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you. you guys are great.
I tried the plex earth 4 and it's simply amazing !!
exactly what I was looking for and thank you again for your detailed explanation.

that just made my day!

Message 12 of 16
aahmed19901

could you provide me with more details about the FDO method?

Message 13 of 16
ChicagoLooper

To use FDO connection to bring in a georeferenced image, do this:

1. Change your workspace to Planning & Analysis. You change it back to Civil 3D after you have inserted your image. 
  2. Assign the appropriate coordinate system to your drawing. For example. UTM NAD83, zone 17, meters (UTM83-17).
  3. From the Data Connect palette (enter MAPCONNCT on command line), select Add Raster Image or Surface Connection under the Data Connections by Provider section. See Image-1.
  4. Select the insert image icon on the right. Browse to an individual image (or browse to the folder that contains the image) select it, click OPEN, then click CONNECT.
  5. To the right of the Schema column, verify Coordinate System column displays the correct coordinate system for your image. If it's NOT correct OR if it shows <unknown> then you'll need to correct it. To correct it, click Edit Coordinate System. See Image-2.
  6. Highlight the Unknown OR the incorrect CS, click EDIT then select the correct coordinate system, then OK. See Image-3.
  7. Back in the Data Connect palette, click Add to Map.

Image-1.Image-1.Image-2.Image-2.Image-3.Image-3.

Note:

In my example, the coordinate system assigned to modelspace is: UTM, NAD83, zone 17, meters, EPSG 26917. The coordinate system native to the image is totally different, yet still appropriate, it is: Ohio State Plane, NAD83, North zone, US-feet, EPSG 3734. The CS of the image does not have to be identical to the CS assigned to modelspace. As long as both CS's describe the same 'spot' on Earth, then they are considered appropriate. If the CS's are appropriate, then C3D/M3D will perform a transformation and geospatially align the image with the coordinate system given to modelspace.  

Chicagolooper
Message 14 of 16
mikeshick

This explanation skipped a step for me.  Where am I getting the image from to add using FDO Connection

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 15 of 16
lstavish
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

So the question is why did Autodesk remove more up to date clearer imagery 

Message 16 of 16

They didn't remove it, Google take away their API.

Todd Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report