Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to Convert LDD to Civil 3d?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1336 Views, 16 Replies

Best way to Convert LDD to Civil 3d?

Everyone knows there's a million ways to get from Point A to Z in Autocad, however, I"m looking for a sure fire and most effective way to take LDD surfaces and convert them or paste them into Civil 3d. The way I currently do it is by Exporting the LandXml from LDD and then inputting into Civil 3d. However, I'm finding that it doesn't always give the best results. Also, I would love to be able to copy over the breaklines, if possible at the same time.

What have you guys done that works, and what process should I stay away from?

I'm good in Autocad and know my way around but I would love to hear from some of you that might have more experience. Thanks! 🙂 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

I've never had a problem using the Import Land Desktop tool.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

I tried using that function and I couldn't select my DTM information (i.e. My existing ground surface). So that's why I used the other method. Any ideas why I couldn't use the dtm information?

Message 4 of 17
tcorey

As long as you're willing to keep the .tin file around, use CreateSurfaceFromTIN command. This eliminates the need to export to LandXML and just reads your LDD surface directly.

If you don't want to hold onto the .tin file, you can Import 3D Lines in LDD and then save the drawing. Open that drawing with Civil 3D and make a surface from those 3D Lines as breaklines.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

When i do the "createsurfacefromtin" command it gives exact same as landxml.. Will LDD & Civil 3d surfaces never line up perfectly (contours)?

Message 6 of 17
tcorey

If there is a small shift, possibly one dataset is in International Feet and another is in US Survey Feet.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 17
Neilw_05

The Import From Land Desktop tool reads the Land Desktop surfaces in the Land Desktop project you select. From there you can select which surfaces you want to import. Did you see your EG surface in the list of surfaces? If not then you may have not selected the right LDT project. If you did see it you should be able to select it by toggling on the check box for it and then it should import to your drawing.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

The shift is not in location etc, it's in the Contours that I see. 

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

I selected the correct project but it would not allow me to select the "surface" option. I know that there's a .tin file as well as other information inside that project in LDD. What file will the "Surface" option read? .tin?
Message 10 of 17
Neilw_05

Land Desktop surfaces are stored in the DTM folder under the project. Each surface is stored in it's own subfolder. The Import tool reads the data for each surface. As long as your surfaces are functional in Land Dektop the tool should work.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

What's the surface's file called? I know there's a surface inside the dtm as I open the LDD project in LDD and I can see the surface.
Message 12 of 17
Neilw_05

If you look in the surface folder you should see several files. The larger files contain the surface data. The files will vary according to what data you provided to build the surface (i.e. points, breaklines). The .tin file is the TIN. I don't know if you are able to extract the data from a .tin file as I think it is a proprietary binary format. You would have to use the LDT Import tool. I've never had a problem such as you are having. Have you tried it on another project? The tool will save you from having to open each LDT project and exporting the surfaces to a file.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 17
Neilw_05

I've not used this command before Tim. Do you know if it equivalent to using the Land Desktop Import tool? Does the imported surface reflect the breaklines and points used in the original TIN?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 17
Neilw_05

P.S. If the CreateSurfaceFromTin command is equivalent to the Land Desktop import tool, it might be a better solution since you don't have to wait for C3D to scan the LDT project for all it's other available data such as alignments and points. The downside is you have to import each surface one at a time so if there are many surfaces the LDT import tool might be better.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 15 of 17
troma

Is there a horizontal or vertical shift?
Or is it just the contour smoothing that is different between LDD and C3D?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 16 of 17
troma

We don't add 3D lines as breaklines.
We add them as drawing objects > Lines with the "Maintain edges" box checked.
We used to use this all the time when sent a surface in this format from outside.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 17 of 17
tcorey

@Anonymous wrote:
I've not used this command before Tim. Do you know if it equivalent to using the Land Desktop Import tool? Does the imported surface reflect the breaklines and points used in the original TIN?

Yes, it is the same as using the Import Tool, except you just browse to the .tin file and import it. No other bs to deal with. No Project Path, Project, etc. to pick. No waiting, sometimes a long time, for C3D to read the project data and offer you the options.

The triangulation is preserved exactly as it is in LDD. 

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report