Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add point to surface - have C3D use Pnt Elevation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mpitts4N47N
258 Views, 7 Replies

Add point to surface - have C3D use Pnt Elevation

When I have a couple of new points to add the the surface, or re-add when I took them out, I'd like to have C3D use the point elevation. Instead it uses the elevation at that point on the existing surface and does not use the slightly different elevation of the actual point.

At which point, pun intended, I need to manually enter the point elevation.  I have tried this with ONSAPZ set to 0 and the point style using the 'Use Point Elevation' set correctly in 3D Geometry tab.

I would hope this is possible, and perhaps I am missing something glaringly obvious.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: mpitts4N47N

Hi Mortimer,
"...a couple of new points to add..."
Additional survey shots? How are you adding the points to the surface?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
mpitts4N47N
in reply to: Pointdump

The usual case is creating a point group.

However, sometimes I notice a point that appears to be messing up the surface. So I'll use the 'delete point' option under surface edit.  At times it may be more than one point.

Occasionally I'll realize that one or more the points removed from the surface needs to be put back in.  I'd like to have C3D recognize the elevation when using the command 'Add Point' in the surface Edit function.

Thank you for your response.

Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

I've never done this but I believe it has a good chance of working. On the Surface Properties box, in the Definition tab, there should be a list of edits in the lower pane. Unchecking the Delete Point edit should bring that point back at the original elevation.

If you're happy with the results. Right click on the edit and select "Remove from Definition".

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
mpitts4N47N

Thank you Allen, I had not thought of that. 

What I am getting from your reply is that C3D does not have a way to acquire the elevation from the point entity itself, even when the point style uses the point elevation in the 3D geometry tab of the style dialog. This is unfortunate if true.

Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

If you're adding new Cogo Points to a Point Group that defined a Surface or adding them directly to a Surface. Civil 3D should respect the point elevations.

However the commands in Surface Edit deal with Surface Points not Cogo Points. So the command doesn't know anything about Cogo Points. I've often suggested that the command be modified so it would pick up the elevation of a Snap point; endpoint, node, center, etc.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-ideas/default-elevation-for-add-point/idi-p/8780589

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
mpitts4N47N

Using Point Groups works fine for the surface creation.

My use case in editing is an annoyance, not a show stopper. 

Thank you for your replies.

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

Yes. It is annoying. 

BTW. Anyone who agrees is welcome to follow the link above and vote for my idea to modify the command.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report