Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d solids projected into profile problems

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2942 Views, 11 Replies

3d solids projected into profile problems

I have 3d solids representing various duct banks projected into profiles as sections at sanitary and storm crossings.  The profiles are in one dwg file, same as the solids.  The solids are one style.  The profiles are all the same style.  The projections are the same style.  In some profiles the projections appear as a boundary and in others as a boundary with hatch. 

Also, in some profiles the projections will not plot while making no changes others will.  The only way this has be resolved is to delete the non-plotting projection and recreate it.  Then is plots. 

Also, some projections randomly disappear from profiles while remaining in others.  I have been unable to ascertain why any of this is happening but have found an apparent positive correlation with our need to plot for a submittal dead line, Murphy.

Has anyone had similar experience?  Resolutions?

Many Thanks,

Fred

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
lim.wendy
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Fred,

Sorry that the 3D solids projection to profile view seemed to be acting up.

Can you post the drawing so that we can take a look?

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 12
Cadguru42
in reply to: lim.wendy

I am having the same issue where I have some 3d solids projected on a profile, but it refuses to plot. I, too, have a deadline today and now C3D 2016 is acting up....again.

Profile view from the layout:

Projected solids for the comm. duct bank are shown in the profile view.Projected solids for the comm. duct bank are shown in the profile view.

Here is the plot preview of the same layout where the projected solids aren't shown:

Projected comm. bank solids do not show in plot preview.Projected comm. bank solids do not show in plot preview.

I've gone through the whole mess of checking layers and styles to make sure nothing is set to NO PLOT. I can't figure out why they refuse to plot.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 12
Jowennl

Hi @Anonymous, @lim.wendy@Cadguru42,

I've seen this before and notice that every time I export projected 3D solid that have vertical exaggeration like 5:1 or 10:1 then exporting to CAD or Export Civil 3D Drawing will explode and will not display some projected solids.

After further testing I found out that:

1) Solid projected (As Shown & Section Un-Tick) - This have some issue and will not display if using any vertical exaggeration.

2) Solid projected (As Shown & Section Tick) - This is ok and have no issue.

My only workaround is to change profile to 1:1 vertical exaggeration and both will display as normal when exporting to CAD. If I really want the vertical exaggeration then I will insert it as a block and vertically distort it and insert in the same spot. This is doable but annoying to do.

Using 5 to 1  Vertical ExaggerationUsing 5 to 1 Vertical ExaggerationUsing 1 to 1  Vertical ExaggerationUsing 1 to 1 Vertical ExaggerationFindings - As  Drawn & Un-Tick Section have some issues with vertical exaggerationFindings - As Drawn & Un-Tick Section have some issues with vertical exaggeration

See attached sample Civil 3D 2018 drawings Test8-1to1.dwg & Test8-5to1.dwg and the ACAD outputs as well. Feel free to test them.

This is already reported / documented as Defect 1053, Civil-6749, Civil-21484 and I also make a new one and gave them all the data sets to test as Defect-1383.

For now I guess try the workaround and export as 1:1 profile vertical exaggeration.

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadguru42

Sorry this is well after your dead line...

I started exploding them as they were exported thinking it would stop the disappearing act.  What I found was that while the projection style was made/set for the objects to be on layer "X", And the current layer was set to layer "Y", And the "parent object" was on layer "Z", And those layers were on, set to plot, and thawed, sometimes the exploded projection objects were Not on layer "X" or "Y" or "Z" or the current layer but an entirely different layer that was a "No Plot" layer.  Go figure.

My work around was to explode and reassign the objects to the correct layers.  Yes uncalled for.  Yes time consuming.  However, the projections populate the profile in correct position which remains a time saver.  I'll take this as a "one and done" work around for now.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Jowennl

Did the projections remain if the vertical exaggeration was placed back into the profile view?

PS:  That's good idea.

Message 7 of 12
Jowennl

@Anonymouswrote:

Sorry this is well after your dead line...

Hi @Anonymous,

Nope, I am not aiming for any deadline at all but sorry if this is too late for you. I just want to show future user that will encounter the same problem like @Cadguru42 that this is what the software behavior is doing and to show some workaround. I really don't prefer exploding an object and would rather use profile 1:1 vertical exaggeration and maintain dynamic solid projection.

I recommend you to try this and if this workaround is deem acceptable to you then maybe you can accept this as solution to help others understand a potential workaround is available.

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 8 of 12
ceethreedee.com

This seems to happen if I "save as" the drawing somewhere else or edit the "start/end" station of the profile view,

Removing the projection objects and then readding them again seemed to correct this for me. They now plot again.!!

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 9 of 12
Cadguru42

I'm still running into this issue. While I appreciate the idea of changing the exaggeration, that is not feasible. We are required to have a 1:10 exaggeration on our profiles. 

I selected all Profile View-Projection Objects, using QSELECT, in the drawing and exploded them. That created blocks in the profile views that can plot, but the 50+ Projection Labels all disappeared. I'm going to create a copy of my drawing, explode the project solids, then copy those blocks back into my main drawing and have them on top of the projected solids. That way I can keep the labels and still get the objects to show in my plot.

This is extremely annoying and Autodesk should be ashamed to have something as basic as Projected Objects not plotting for at least three versions of the software and 10+ service packs with no fix. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 12
Cadguru42

I spoke too soon. The projected objects, when exploded to blocks, were still not plotting. The blocks are anonymous blocks and had to be exploded a second time, which is how I found that the lines were being placed on a seemingly random layer that's non-plot. The original ACAD solids are not on that layer. The projection style does not use that layer, either.  

Sometimes I hate C3D.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 12
matti.seppa

I found out that when you run the synchronize command, projections in the profile view inherit the current layer although layer connection won't show anywhere but only indirectly in the plotting process.

Message 12 of 12
camperip

In case others are having this problem, here's what I found.  The linework for the block created for the projection is created on whatever layer is set current at the time the projection was created.  If this happens to be a no-plot layer, even though the projection object itself and the styles are set to plotting layers, it will still not plot.  I only discovered this after I was having this issue.  Exploding the projection (twice) revealed that the linework for the projection was created using the layer that I had set current at the time (no-plot).  Once I changed the layer and recreated the projections did I get it to plot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report