Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 feet Fire Truck Turning Width and Radius

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
thutzl136
3195 Views, 8 Replies

32 feet Fire Truck Turning Width and Radius

I am a farmer with neighbors that seem to want to narrow the opening of my easement to a public roadway. My main concern is can my local Fire Company get their Fire Trucks to my facilities in case of an emergency. The local Fire Company has trucks that are 30 and 32 feet in length. Would anyone be able to tell me how wide of an opening, at the intersections of a 33 feet road and a 16 feet road, would need to be, in order to accommodate these two truck lengths?  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: thutzl136

There are many other details that go into this, besides just length. You need to know wheel base, speed, width, time to run from steering stop on left to steering stop on right. Do you know the make and model of the fire trucks the department uses? That will help.

Your local civil engineer can run this analysis for you using Autodesk Vehicle Tracking software. They will need a layout of the main road as well as your driveway/entrance road. That's likely easy to get from within AutoCAD Civil 3D using the Geolocation tools.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
Joe-Bouza

I concur with Tim.

Additionally, the onus should be on your neighbor. A town permit is typically required to make alterations to curb/openings to public ROW. Your Fire Marshal will have a lot to say about that.

I would recommend you speak with town hall and the fire marshal regarding the intent and your concern
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 9
cwitzel
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I would echo Joe.  

The Fire Marshall should have the final say.  They should not allow any alterations that will not allow them access.

Even rural communities should have a Fire Marshall, even if they are volunteers.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 5 of 9
wfberry

Here is the way I feel.  I am driving a "Big Red Truck" with lights and sirens going crazy, driving down a 33' wide pavement I WILL make a turn into a 16' wide road with a less than a 10' wide truck.  No Problem!

Bill

Message 6 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: wfberry

Mr Hickey would be the perfect person to ask this question to. He not only designed roads but drove the big red trucks with the lights. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Not that we know but if the modification limits the entering turning radius with fixed objects to 25 feet and a 32 foot truck requires 30 feet...there may be some scraping
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe:

A normal 32' BIG RED TRUCK has an inside turning radius of 26'.  Using the full 33' wide road I could hit that 16' road with a "0" radius at the intersection.

At least on the second try !

<G>

Bill

Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza

That's good. I don't have those data at my finger tips. A fire marshal would still request a turning movement diagram for posterity. I think is what the op needed to know
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report