Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12d and Civil 3D comparison

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Yonas89
2108 Views, 4 Replies

12d and Civil 3D comparison

Just wanted to transfer Civil 3D vs 12d: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/civil-3d-vs-12d/m-p/2160245#M65837 discussion to new place here, as both software has significantly changed since the various opinions were posted back then. 

Just wanted to hear some strengths and weaknesses of 12d comparing to Civil 3D . I have experience with both software, but wanted to hear an opinion from other professionals. To which software you would give your vote and why?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Yonas89

I've used 12d for over 10 years, and in my brief time with Civil3D i could see it was far more user friendly, spoke to other BIM software much more smoothly, and offered everything inside the AEC package, with no additional licenses. One look on the 12d forums (which you need to buy a license just to access) will show you they seem almost allergic to modernising their user interface, it's famously clunky, their support is outsourced to a private company, and their user manual is 8,000 pages and counting (it's funny because they put the button for opening this manual right next to the "Confirm" button when doing alignments, so you often misclick and end up having pdf viewer open this massive document). Their visualisation package (which until model 14 required a paid license) is also astoundingly bad considering how long they've had to develop it.

Despite its lack of polish, 12d i found was the far more powerful software for creating surfaces. Civil3D constantly froze or crashed on me especially when using lidar information. I can't speak to its design functionality because i didn't spend much time designing in it.

In Australia and New Zealand 12d pretty much has a monopoly on the civil engineering market, however this is changing rapidly. More and more recruiters are starting to add Civil3D as a requirement for new roles. 12d has hastily been playing catchup the last few years introducing things and trying to keep up with the rapidly emerging BIM environment (which it is still mostly terrible at). 12d's renderer is OpenGL which should tell you all you need to know about how good the visualisation is (Infraworks etc. use gaming engines for theirs so you can imagine the difference when someone puts a VR headset on. If i was in a meeting room and a client asked me to quickly change the alignment of a road to see how it interfaces with a neighbouring development, for example, i would get nervous as doing this in 12d, while it has improved, is still clunky. In Civil3D you can just pick point and move them, and everything else updates dynamically.

I've been told another problem with our reluctancy to switch over to Civil3D entirely is its in built stormwater functionality. We use pit & pipe dynamic drainage using the ILSAX method typically in Australia which is built into 12d. I think Civil3D uses the SCS runoff method, which 12d also has (if you have the dynamic drainage license). It also has TUFLOW (flood modelling), HECRAS functionality, and can read Drains (another australian stormwater software) models. At this time i'm unsure if Civil3D has any addons which can satisfy the need of the local designer here. This is huge as local counsels require more and more the submission of stormwater models in these formats on top of the hydrology/hydraulics calculation sheets.

And don't even mention drafting in 12d. A painstaking process which they've tried to implement within the software that nobody uses .... so ultimately we still require two people & two bits of software (usually) to finish a product. People say "use a .dwt" from 12d to CAD, but there shouldn't even be a middle man. I understand Synergy fixes a lot of cad woes people have in 12d, but this is another package you need to pay for. They are masters for squeezing every cent out of the consumer.

I'm sure there's other things i could dump on here but for now that's my 2 cents.

In summary, i use 12d because it's required of my role. But i wouldn't be surprised for a second if the market (which it has done in other countries like the UK and UAE) switches overnight to Civil3D.

Message 3 of 5
Yonas89
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous  Thanks a lot for such informative reply!  Your insights is very very interesting!

Message 4 of 5

I for one would like to see this thread revived.

Civil 3D is a powerful tool, but far too many things have been ignored over the years - such as the simple ability to select multiple bands when creating surface profiles, to the clunky and horrible method by which you have to change pipe network grades/levels. More and more features are added, but the basic functionality of a lot of Civil 3D is simply outdated and hard to navigate. I would really like to see a new C3D with improved workflows throughout.

It should be a lot easier to use and now I am considering other software packages such as 12D, so this thread could become very interesting!

It would be very good to get an unbiased opinion on the pros/cons of each software.

Message 5 of 5

I started my career as a Land Development Engineer in the US using strictly C3D, but about 2 years into my career I got a job and moved to New Zealand from 2016-2019. 

At my particular office, all design was done using 12d and they only used AutoCAD for drafting. I had to learn 12d quick to keep up with my colleagues. I hated it at first, because 12d is not as intuitive or user friendly as C3D. Luckily I had two 12d gurus in my team and they made everything significantly easier. 

Over the years they created snippets (similar to assemblies) for easier grading methodologies and streamlined the conversion from 12d to autocad. So essentially when any design was altered in 12d, they ran a chain (essentially a macro) that immediately updated the appropriate xref in cad. It was basically functioning like a data shortcut. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed 12d as much if they hadn't streamlined everything so nicely.

I ended up loving 12d and the power it had when it came to stormwater network design. I'm not quite sure why autocad hasn't come up with a similar method of designing pipe networks. I'm back in the states using C3D now, but I keep going back to the idea of buying 12d for myself just for the pipe network design process. 

Also 12d is constantly changing and improving with every update. I really don't see a lot of improvements going on with C3D, and it's disappointing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report