Character Generator Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Character Generator Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Character Generator topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a 3d model that used autodesk char generator as its base mesh?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
treandw
2053 Views, 5 Replies

Selling a 3d model that used autodesk char generator as its base mesh?

Hi so i would like to use the generator as a bash mesh (like having the diff skin tones and most of the hairstyles  are great) .

I would then modify it substantially(making medieval stuff).

Would i be able to sell the model on sites like Turbosquid,unity store etc?.

I read through the posts regarding this subject and the only post that had a definitive yes was back in 2014 at the end of the post.(Yes, at this point in time usage of generated characters are unrestricted including the ability to sell them.) http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/character-generator-general/characters-and-content-generated-under-the...

More recent i see this term used

We don’t restrict what you can do (“commercially” or otherwise) with the characters you create, as long as you do not redistribute the DNA data file

What is  the DNA data file? And am i allowed to sell my models if they started life in the autodesk womb?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
treandw
in reply to: treandw

Oh the question is in regards to the free models i imagine you would not want the premium content to be redistributed?

Message 3 of 6
treandw

Hello? no response?

Message 4 of 6
daniel.tutino

For general guidance on what you are and are not allowed to do with Autodesk services you'll need to refer to the legal Terms of Service.

http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/terms-of-service-autodesk360-web-services

(Character Generator doesn't have  unique term so please refer to the Autodesk 360 terms for details).

The content you create from the service is yours to do as you please, including commercial use. As mentioned in the post from a couple of years ago (Free or premium content alike). The reference to  "DNA" of the file is more so specific that you are not allowed to re-distritribute or link to the underlying parts that make up the service; generally speaking nobody should have direct access to that outside of the Character Generator website but it's a legal requirement to state that info.

So in short, feel free to take your generated character as base mesh and build/rebuild/edit it with Maya to create some cool new content and try sell it on the content store of your choosing. I almost feel obligated to plug Autodesk's very own https://creativemarket.com/3d as a potential option if you're interested as well 🙂 

Thanks

Daniel

Product Manager
Message 5 of 6
treandw
in reply to: daniel.tutino

Hey Daniel

That took a while for a response:p thought everyone had gone home.

Man i read through those terms twice over no wonder i didn't see a ref to char generator.

Thats awesome news now i can get started proper I was looking at creative crash and 3dstudio as long as they don't have that "tin" thing that turbosquid have (us treasury withhold 30 percent of royalties!!!?I am not a us citizen why on earth should i be paying them tax???)hopefully my stuff is good enough to be accepted been mostly a hobby till now.

Cheers.

Message 6 of 6
AutoES
in reply to: daniel.tutino

Ahhh, I found an official response to another post I made on this topic.

Daniel expressly states I can take my downloaded generated characters in full as exported, (including the mesh, bones, textures and morph targets), and (build/re-build/or edit) using Maya, but I am hoping that refers to any 3D editing program as being acceptable, not specifically just Maya, then to build off of the base mesh, and/or character components is acceptable and authorized by Autodesk.

I don't take his statement as meaning to just resell the exact base mesh, and/or components as exported without at least changing/deriving it in some way after export from Character Generator, modifying at least some part of the characters, either the mesh, adding to, or removing a component mesh, adding to, or changing textures, adding facial morphs, or adding an included self-made animation file to apply to the bones, or any added mesh parts created, if applicable, before uploading it to any content store, or re-packaging them for resale through a direct link PayPal sale, including if uploaded to a personal web store.

I plan to build/derive off the base components of any character generated, as described above, not just make a no-change turn-over available for resale, so under this official reply, I would be authorized under an open license consent, and not violate Autodesk TOS, or act against what Daniel expressly stated.

I apologize for being so specific, but these days no one can be to safe on these matters.

Please Daniel, don't change this as policy at a later date without expressly notifying me, or anyone following this authorization as an official reply.

Thank you for being more clear, as some other answers were a bit vague on this exact topic in this forum, like simply stating, "without restriction", or "what's stated in the Autodesk TOS", which to me doesn't match this statement from Daniel, it can't be two ways, but from this statement it seems Autodesk won't punish users later for reselling, or breaking any copyright law.

Off I go to do so!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report