Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking wall roughness into consideration for simulation (Very urgent)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Eric.Chua_2015
545 Views, 6 Replies

Taking wall roughness into consideration for simulation (Very urgent)

Hi,

I am currently working on a project that requires me to apply wall roughness to show the different in heat transfer rate and pressure drop in a heat exchanger. However i am unable to get the different after i apply the wall roughness. I was told that the wall roughness is accounted for in the calculation of the effective wall conductivity only for the k-e turbulence model. However, for both k-e and sst model, i could not get the different in pressure drop and heat transfer rate. I had increase the number of wall layer to 15 as well already.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Eric.Chua_2015

Only use the ke model, as I think we said already in another thread 🙂

Did you already run a mesh sensitivity study?

Just switching to 15 layers isn't the right thing to do - you need to think about the Y+ value (35-300 for ke) and not just increasing layers.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Message 3 of 7
Eric.Chua_2015
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi @Jon.Wilde,

Thanks for your reply! (:
I will include the step for Y+ value adaptation into the simulation. However how do i ensure the Y+ value to be >35 as the only option is to limit the maximum Y+ value, or is it a automated process that it will be brought up to above 35?
Another question, do i need to turn off the IWF for ke model? or is there any no different for ke model if I turn the IWF off or not?
Thanks and sorry for the trouble (:

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Wilde

You likely don't need to adapt, just use the default wall settings, I bet that gets you close 🙂

I think just leave IWF off, but I am not 100% certain on that...

Message 5 of 7
Eric.Chua_2015

Hi @Jon.Wilde,

Thanks! I will try it out. 
Just one last question, for the mesh sensitivity study, do i just do it once and the mesh can be reuse for other roughness value or do i have to perform the mesh sensitivity study for every wall roughness value that i input?

Message 6 of 7
Jon.Wilde

I would think only once 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Eric.Chua_2015

Hi @Jon.Wilde,

Thanks for your help. I have solved the issue. 
Just to close the loop of information, it was as you guys have said, the turbulence model should be k-e model. However, IWF have to be turn on in order to ensure the the distance y+ to be 35< Y+ < 300.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report